Enshittification: The Thread

Fascinating. I’m looking forward to more data collection. Also, was not expecting the bit at the end that confirms that there are people who wear their sunglasses at night.

3 Likes

Sunglasses At Night Dancing GIF by Fort Wayne TinCaps

5 Likes

More Spotify enshittiness:

3 Likes

I saw it on apple news, but the source was paywalled. So a free but slightly older source

Why are there purple streetlights on Kansas City area highways? We found answers

I figure that half of the us will run local versions of the story over the course of a year.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Now I can’t get “wipeout” out of my head… damnit.

2 Likes

@nick_warr, here this is worse!

10 Likes

Sounds like it’s time to stop using reddit, then.

1 Like

Right… so if someone records and uploads something really offensive and illegal, I wonder if this is enough that they can get hauled into court on charges of violating :canada:'s hate speech laws. They own it, right? If the judge rules that the clauses constitute ownership, even if that word isn’t used, it might stick. Hopefully the exercise will take a chunk out of Section 230 in the mean time.

1 Like

Worse? No, it’s better. I’ve had that song stuck in my head since childhood, and I’m never letting it go.

6 Likes

I’ve encountered purple streetlights a couple times and prefer them.

4 Likes

Enshittification-adjacent.
We just bought a new-to-us Chevy Bolt from Ohio. We’re having it shipped over to us in Maine.
I got an email last week that our car comes with a free trial subscription to SiriusXM. Cool. Then I noticed that the subscription already started, though we won’t have the car for another week or so.
So I contacted them to see if they could postpone the start date until we’re in possession of the car. They asked me for my full name, address, and phone number to make sure it matches the account info they have on file.
But I never signed up for an account, and I’m not sure where they would have gotten that information to match to…did the car dealer give it to them? I gave them all the info from the email they sent me (it has an account number and other stuff), but that’s not enough. They won’t do anything about the subscription and they won’t tell me where they got “my” information in the first place.
I’m so sick of companies asking for all this personal data for free and giving nothing in return. Grr.

9 Likes

Sirius XM definitely knows when the title changes hands. I’m not sure how, but the same thing happened to us when we got a car so-equipped – shortly after we registered it we noticed that the satellite radio was suddenly under free trial. The local Honda dealership also started sending us fliers offering to update our satellite maps for a ridiculous sum. This was in 2014, so whatever is happening has been going on for at least a decade.

This leads me to suspect that maybe the vehicle manufacturer is able to get registration information for its VINs? They could then presumably pass this information along to any of the vendors whose products are bundled with the vehicle. Or anyone else, for that matter.

I don’t know if that explains an email, though, unless that information is tied to your vehicle registration somehow.

Definitely enshittificaiton-adjacent, inasmuch as personal information security management seems to be made porous by design.

7 Likes

6 Likes

Yes, but T&Cs make for great graphic novels!

3 Likes

I’m sure this will work out great for consumers.
https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/19/business/capital-one-buying-discover

4 Likes

There can only be one!

Was Highlander an allegory for late stage capitalism?

1 Like

… and setting off the sprinklers. It also left a manufacturing firm’s decapitated workforce, lying on the floor next to its own severed equity. An equity which, at this time, has no name.

2 Likes

Apple’s Terms and Conditions as an image prompt

2 Likes

Why use crappy AI when there is actual art?

2 Likes