Enshittification: The Thread

Think of it as the 2020s’ version of a word cloud.

1 Like

6 Likes

Stick with your local credit union. It ain’t perfect, far from it, but a hell of a lot more reliable and responsive that the behemoths.

6 Likes

Conor Mcgregor GIF by UFC

2 Likes

eta: Perhaps not quite enshittification, but on the other hand, Google knows that this is going on, and allows it for their own benefit.

hm.

The 10 Worst Republicans in Congress – Lab Tested and Reviewed!

6 Likes

Highlander 2 was the allegory for late-stage capitalism

Caveat: I haven’t seen Highlander 2, but I have read the internet (most of it, anyway)

Um… what movie are you talking about… there was no Highlander 2!

10 Likes

You’re thinking of Indiana Jones 4. Which doesn’t exist either.

3 Likes

Season 6 Episode 3 GIF by Parks and Recreation

Neither film is real.

3 Likes
5 Likes

Crunchyroll’s president claims that he wants to make things right with customers who want access to their Funimation digital copies. Some people have been offered digital copies on other services, and others have been “gifted” free months of premium Crunchyroll. Also:

• To get anything, users have to reach out to Funimation
  • The form Funimation wants people to use doesn’t actually offer a proper category for filling a claim like this, nor does it have a “General” category to use
4 Likes
7 Likes
6 Likes

Some important context as this news breaks:

#WordPress is an open-source project, available at WordPress.org.

One of its co-founders, Matt Mullenweg, is CEO of #Automattic, which runs WordPress.com and owns #Tumblr.

They can’t sell what they don’t have, so “WordPress” here refers to WordPress.com, not self-hosted WordPress instances.

BUT many self-hosted instances use the Jetpack plugin, which does send data to WordPress.com, so that might be sold :face_with_symbols_on_mouth:

6 Likes

It’s when players are queued, waiting for the game to start anyway, so here are some ads…

3 Likes
6 Likes
5 Likes

Here’s the link I posted there, here:

5 Likes

Street Fighter 5 Arcade Cabinets Are About To Be Useless

Emphasis mine:

Capcom announced that Street Fighter V: Type Arcade in Japan will shut down on April 1. Players will not have access to any components of the game, including its offline modes.

4 Likes