Enshittification: The Thread

Check out Scribus.

1 Like

Last time I did was maybe 10 years ago, and I wasn’t impressed. But I know that that is several lifetimes in software years.

That said, I like Affinity Publisher a lot. Now that it has footnote support it is actually useful to me as well. I have no plans to switch. It’s just the future products from Serif I’m worried about, in addition to the general disappointment that a company that so defiantly took on Adobe is selling out like that.

A glimmer of hope against enshittification. Whether they can be held to that, or whether the pledge will survive the planned Canva IPO is another question, of course.

1 Like

Substack is shitty for a lot of reasons. Here’s another…

Substack writers are expressing their concerns about the platform’s following feature on social media, which some argue is suppressing their subscription growth.

“Substack is completely gutting their business right now,” author Jeanna Kadlec wrote on Threads. “Every writer I know is seeing our subscriptions plummet as our ‘follower’ count rises.”

“This latest intervention is indicative of their efforts to transition to a social media hub where they can sell ad space,” Kadlec continued.

3 Likes

3 Likes

They look like the disposable shirts from Idiocracy

5 Likes
5 Likes

I wonder if we’re writing and reading on a Discord product.

2 Likes
3 Likes
8 Likes

shocked philip j fry GIF

8 Likes

19 Likes

Where’s that from?

2 Likes

Some meme posting account on Bluesky

6 Likes

From a more civilised time.

10 Likes

This here paper explaining how search engines and advertising are incompatible sure is:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S016975529800110X

4 Likes
4 Likes

Phew! I was worried they might make me pay to turn them off.

Who am I kidding? I wouldn’t touch Google with yours.

7 Likes

It’s not that I want AI in search, but I don’t trust Google not to make free search even worse in effort to drive people to pay like they’ve done with YouTube :woman_shrugging:

6 Likes

Leave them behind. You won’t miss them.
Maps is next to be enshittified.

4 Likes