Enshittification: The Thread

Kelsey Grammer Problem GIF by Paramount+

6 Likes

Ten years ago Microsoft bought Nokia’s phone unit – then killed it as a tax write-off

8 Likes

It’s not a confirmed booking, just a rumored one.

8 Likes
7 Likes

True Detective Hbo GIF by True Detective: Night Country

5 Likes

Cut they cord, they said. It’ll be cheaper and have less commercials than cable, they said. You won’t have to deal with comcast, they said… /s

12 Likes

Capitalism’s the greatest! /s

7 Likes

I’ve learned the hard way to not book through third party sites. We were attending a wedding out of town, about a 3 hour drive from home. Booked on hotelsdotcom only to arrive at the hotel to find it just… closed. There was actually an employee there, he was working on his car under the portico. I guess there just had to be someone there while renovations were going on. Good thing it was only a 3 hour drive home. We changed into our nice clothes in the venue bathroom, hopped in the car around 11pm and were home by 2.
By the way, this was a chain hotel. When I later went to their website, the location we booked was not listed.

3 Likes

We recently bought a Blu Ray/DVD player since I no longer had anything capable of playing those in the house, specifically to rewatch Jodie Whittaker’s Dr Who run which is completely unavailable in Canada on streaming before the new series drops. My wife and I have decided that shows we really want to have available at all times will be bought on physical media, since the streaming services can’t get their crap together. The streaming companies are really crapping the bed lately, and I really don’t want to go back to the strategy I used in college, but I will if I have to. :pirate_flag: :parrot:

8 Likes

Kristen Wiig Yep GIF by Where’d You Go Bernadette

We pretty much only have 2 streamers and if it’s not eventually on physical media, we just don’t get to it… Have yet to see any of the Marvel or Star Wars shows on Disney+ since they’re only now getting to releasing them on physical media…

4 Likes
5 Likes

US tech companies’ malicious compliance is a real pain.

They absolutely are lawless, rogue actors. Bunch of fucking gangsters with government protection. Fuck TikTok, look to the beam in thine own eyes Biden et al.

7 Likes

Colin Jost Shrug GIF by Saturday Night Live

5 Likes

Someone laughed at me recently when I mentioned my dvd collection, to which I am still adding titles. I just side-eyed him and smiled.

12 Likes

Demi Lovato Pizza GIF

We also have a physical collection of media that’s still growing (books (so many books), dvds, cds, some vinyl)… none of that will disappear if a show gets yanked off a streamer or amazon decides to pull a book…

8 Likes

Or, in the worst case scenario, total grid-fail.

7 Likes

I mean, yeah… if it all goes down, I want to be able to watch old Doctor who and Deep Space nine, right? :grin: and listen to music… and most importantly READ books!!!

Read Beauty And The Beast GIF by Disney

8 Likes

Yep. Far too often things get pulled and I can’t access them. Some things I want to see I can’t find anywhere except physical media, anyway. For example, I wanted to show my wife ‘Pump up the Volume’ but it’s not available anywhere on streaming and likely never will be. I’ll be buying it when I have a bit of spare cash to spend on it.

7 Likes

11 Likes

Will crosspost in the AI thread…

5 Likes