Enshittification: The Thread

8 Likes

There’s no incentive for people to keep replacing the Alexa boxes every couple years, unless they create one, and add a subscription fee.

For instance, Jassy, an avid sports fan, asked the voice assistant the live score of a recent game, according to a person in the room, and was openly frustrated that Alexa didn’t know an answer that was so easy to find online.

Oh, this should be good!

“And the baseball game is 45 to 11 for the Pirates over the Broncos, in the third quarter.”

6 Likes
4 Likes

Last Sunday I was in central London to go and see the stage production of Spirited Away at the London Coliseum theatre near Leicester Square.

I was using Google Maps on my phone to find my way. It kept trying to guide me to a pub called The Empire, which had bought enhanced visibility to advertise itself as a lunch venue in the area.

Has anyone else had this experience with Maps?

5 Likes
6 Likes
5 Likes
4 Likes

Lovense, a brand of vibrator I have, just saw fit to send me a push notification for their “Lovense global orgy”. It’s bad enough that they’ll put an unsolicited ad on my lock screen without consideration for who might see it, but when I complained I got an automated, AI generated response telling me I should disable notifications in settings if I don’t want that to happen. How about don’t make sensitive push notifications without so much as an opt out

9 Likes
4 Likes

Posting this on YouTube, is that ironic, or meta, or both sad and funny?

3 Likes

I think we’re all aware of the problems with any social media platform, but doesn’t mean it’s not worth talking about these issues even on those very same enshittified platforms. In fact, those might be the best places to do that, since that’s where the problem is happening and where it needs to be understood…

Awareness can lead to change, as he discusses towards the end of the video. :woman_shrugging:

8 Likes

tumblr_n7i43h2lSz1rl6gs3o1_1280

6 Likes

True, but it doesn’t answer my question.

I mean… that’s up to you, I guess? It’s the place the conversation is happening, because it’s the place where these problems exist? :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

Always a Simpsons gif.
season 7 GIF

5 Likes

I think I’m going to go with it being frustrating that things have reached the point where even while trying to fix a problem it can’t be avoided being part of the problem simultaneously.
What a time to be alive.

5 Likes
5 Likes
4 Likes

welp…

We’ll see how well this works out for them…

5 Likes

Considering how many commenters appear to have dropped since the move from G/O, I’m going to go with “not well”. The only comment (yes, singular) I’ve seen since then was spam.

4 Likes