Enshittification: The Thread

I’ve noticed that too…

4 Likes
6 Likes
8 Likes

… and, barely a week later, “&udm=14” doesn’t work anymore

7 Likes

I set up a new search engine in chrome, copied all the details from the default google search, added &udm=14, and made that the new default under the name “Google (NoAI)”. It’s still working for me.

5 Likes

… are you sure?

Open two tabs with the same URL, the only difference being the presence and absence of “&udm=14”

The difference is that &udm=14 takes me directly to the “web” tab, which doesn’t have all the “value add”. I can still go to the “all” tab, which still has the AI cruft.

That’s all the udm=14 hack does: it doesn’t change the results, it just flips you to a different view by default.

1 Like

… the “Web” tab has disappeared for me

1 Like

That’s what the difference is. And that looks like it might be one of those regional rollout things. Or a bug. (That which is adequately explained by stupidity, and all that.)

3 Likes
5 Likes
5 Likes
5 Likes
7 Likes
6 Likes

Yeah. Web tab was gone for me when everyone started talking about the trick.

I hadn’t noticed it had gone on Google as I wouldn’t touch it with yours normally.

1 Like

… it’s back now (for me anyway) :confused:

1 Like

The order of the tabs is dynamic, and the “extras” are hidden under the “… more” menu. If you don’t see “web” highlighted you should be able to find it under “more”.

(It’s also entirely possible that they have changed up the interface and I just haven’t experienced it yet, but it would seem impossible to offer a tabbed search experience without having “web” as an option.)

1 Like

… there was, and is, no More button in the list

The tabs run past the edge of the window but they scroll

This looks very different to my experience. I’m on desktop, but even in the narrow media breakpoints I don’t see a scrollable list:

I assume Google is using more robust device detection? Not sure why they’d hide a core category on mobile though.

1 Like

… just trust me, it wasn’t there, the udm parameter stopped working at the same time