Enshittification: The Thread

I believe you; just ruminating on the nature of our divergent experiences.

1 Like

Why announce anything, when you can A/B test on the entire population of the planet?

3 Likes
7 Likes
3 Likes

In addition to the cheaper ad-free plan now costing $17 per month, the Ultimate ad-free monthly plan, which supports four instead of two concurrent streams and 4K instead of 1080p resolution, is up a dollar to $21 per month.

Annual subscriptions to the streaming service are also getting more expensive. The annual ad-free plan is $20 more, at $170/year, and the Ultimate ad-free annual plan went up by $10 to $210 per year.

WBD said it will inform current subscribers about the new pricing 30 days in advance of their plan renewing. Subscribers will have to pay the new prices—or switch to a different plan or cancel—beginning on their next billing cycle that takes place on or after July 4.

Max isn’t hiking the price of its subscription plans that show commercials. That move is ostensibly to draw more subscribers to Max’s ad plans, which make WBD more revenue per user on average. Revenue, of course, aids WBD’s plans to maintain profitability for its streaming business.

4 Likes

from

15 Likes

So, yeah. Everybody should stop using Chrome just about now.

8 Likes

This is interesting. And infuriating. (tl;dw it wasn’t the shrimp)

4 Likes

Yeah, vulture capitalism ruins pretty much everything. Speaking as a medical professional watching my whole field being enshittified.

9 Likes
7 Likes
6 Likes
5 Likes

Yes, I normally give computers voice commands while I’ve got a mouthful of buzzing toothbrush.

How many people bought those things?

5 Likes

18 Likes
2 Likes

I just listened to Cory Doctorow’s mind boggling and infuriating explanation of recent forms of corporate capture and money-grabbing via the tech we use (and sometimes MUST use) on the Upstream podcast. He’s awesome at explainong this shit, and also at explaining why it’s very important to keep some key Biden appointees in their posts (people appointed thanks to E Warren and B Sanders).

It’s the May 21 episode here, doesn’t seem to have its own page:

He’s talking about info in this book, which this interview inspired me to get (and to do my best to work my way through!):

11 Likes

… I found it

10 Likes

adobe is asking for a class action lawsuit here. let them fuckers have it.

5 Likes
4 Likes
3 Likes