Enshittification: The Thread

2 Likes

Free Java implementations - Wikipedia

Escaping the Java Trap: A practical road map to the Free Software and Open Source alternatives

3 Likes

Yup. And numbers from the link I posted are rather impressive. Currently 65% are running on alternative runtimes, way more than I expected. 80% by 2026.

I wonder if that’s going to accelerate as Oracle tries harder with the fewer customers left.

3 Likes

It seems like a really long bait-and-switch game

3 Likes

Orace has long been known in the tech world as a law firm with a software division. They may be auditing the Fortune 100, 200, or whoever, but some of them have really good lawyers, too, and have long been paying attention to software licensing. There are several distros of open source JDKs that don’t run afoul of their claims, and it usually takes only a little effort to fix them. (The J2EE modules are not quite as easily replaced, but most have open source replacements available.)

The thing is you have to eradicate all of the Oracle distros, and they can be hiding in the weirdest places.

5 Likes

8 Likes

from

17 Likes

https://pluralistic.net/2024/06/14/patch-tuesday/#fool-me-twice-we-dont-get-fooled-again

In which Cory doesn’t hold back on what he really thinks. He’s not wrong, Microsoft have always been up there with the absolute worst in tech for decades now.

7 Likes

Yeah. It’s a good one.

3 Likes
1 Like
5 Likes

That makes switching to Apple Music tempting. I wonder if their music and podcast libraries are comparable.

3 Likes

This “On the Media” is a good one. Brooke interviews Cory Doctorow. Originally aired last September, so may be a repost.

The Ensh*ttification of Everything
Why does every social media platform seem to get worse over time? This week’s On the Media explores an expansive theory on how we lost a better version of the internet, and the systems that insulate Big Digital from competition. Plus, some solutions for fixing the world wide web. [01:00] Host Brooke Gladstone interviews Cory Doctorow, journalist, activist, and the author of Red Team Blues, on his theory surrounding the slow, steady descent of the internet…

8 Likes
4 Likes

Adding to all the previously posted Amazon angst, my final link to that firm (video) is ending because of sudden device failure. :angry: Support forums online were full of other customer reports / complaints about the same issue that’s been happening for almost a year with no real solution for these “accidents.” Instead of a fix, I got an offer for a discount on a new (more invasive) device just in time for Prime Day - so the timing is…

Fried Rice Cooking GIF by Nigel Ng (Uncle Roger)

In related news…

Guess it’s time to revisit these lists:

4 Likes
4 Likes

Man, the one Back to the Future thing we did get, and they broke it!

6 Likes

This explains a lot.

10 Likes

What if someone else decided to piss in their pot by cloning the game that they’re advertising? It wouldn’t be the money-sucker that their base-builder game is engineered for, but they’d be doing all the advertising for the cloned games.

2 Likes

I think that the actual game would get old fast.

I believe that the ads work because the player is so frustratingly bad in them. Every time I see one, I think, “Ugh, why would you move that way when you should have moved this way?! Here, give me the controller!”

Then again, it probably wouldn’t cost that much to develop, so why not?

4 Likes