Enthusiastic motors Youtuber discusses the pros and cons of the boxer engine

Originally published at: Enthusiastic motors Youtuber discusses the pros and cons of the boxer engine | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Interesting factoid: while all boxers are horizontally opposed (“flat”), not all horizontally opposed engines are boxers. A boxer engine is a horizontally opposed engine where left and right pistons fire at the same time. This is said to reduce engine vibrations by ensuring combustion is well balanced between both sides of the engine.

I drive a Subaru so I’m all in on boxer engines and their benefits.

6 Likes

I have paid for two head gasket jobs on subaru boxers. Yay!
One of them is not even within the “head gasket model” years.

3 Likes

Interesting, but I kept wanting to hear the narrator pronounce the name Porsche correctly.

5 Likes

I blew a Vanagon head gasket by overheating in the normal manner, on the engine that came with the Van when I bought it. Only boxer I ever had engine trouble with – tho the 911 has had bosche bolt-on part problems.

4 Likes

My third Subaru already had the head gasket replaced, hoping the bad luck ends with that!

3 Likes

Video link for the BBS:

3 Likes

Want smooth torque? Electric motor…nuff said

11 Likes

No love for opposed piston engines? Two stroke, each cylinder has two pistons which uncover the intake and exhaust ports, so no valves. They tend to be used for large horsepower applications, like locomotives or submarines, but ISTR that there was an Australian company that made some trucks using them.

4 Likes

You and I are thinking the same thing (I think).
High torque and power in a small(ish) package.

4 Likes

Coincidentally… The Legendary Napier Deltic - Super Diesel Triangle Engine - YouTube

Note: unable to embed YouTube video for some reason

2 Likes

Of course this guy decided machine a miniature Deltic

https://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/Tomlinson.htm

1 Like

Scotty’s video are now much better than the older ones. I love to work on cars in my free time and follow a lot of car mechanic channels. Scotty has made a lot of good, specific fix videos. Some of his older videos show him as a very animated mechanic.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.