Entrancing video shows how highlighters are made

Originally published at: Entrancing video shows how highlighters are made | Boing Boing

8 Likes

That’s a really pretty factory location and factory.

I enjoy videos like this, about how things are made in factory assembly lines. But I’ve yet to find videos about the people who make assembly lines. I’d love to find out more about how those custom devices are made, by whom, and how they make them to be so reliable that they can run continuously.

13 Likes

I can’t feel sorry for them, they bring so much attention to themselves.

6 Likes

They also have a video about how pencils are made.

6 Likes

Groovy!!!

I love pristine factories in the wilderness. (Almost exclusively a European innovation.)

1 Like

Sniffing Bo Burnham GIF by A24

4 Likes

Video link for the BBS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQE2q-1bNZE

2 Likes

Everyone looked ridiculously wholesome. My cynical heart wants to believe, but…

2 Likes

I’m no expert on Faber-Castell, but it’s useful to know that it’s a fairly unique company. It was founded in 1761, and supposedly credits some of their success to sticking to their roots (such as staying in that picturesque little town). They’ve remained a small-ish niche producer and have, according to themselves, avoided the temptation to go all in on corporate greed and expansion.
In that small town they are more or less forced to consider their relationship with the local workforce as a long term relationship – i.e. centuries long. It’s quite possible that the workers in the video are genuinely pleased to be there.

1 Like

This is their factory in Engelhartszell an der Donau - Wikipedia - but your general point stands. They think long-term and have form on good employer-employee relations.

Besides, Engelhartszell seems nice enough, and Austria has good labour laws, universal healthcare, etc.

Municipal homepage:
https://www.engelhartszell.at/system/web/default.aspx?menuonr=219282259

Webcam:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.