EPA orders derailed train operator Norfolk Southern to handle and pay for cleanup

Originally published at: EPA orders derailed train operator Norfolk Southern to handle and pay for cleanup | Boing Boing

4 Likes

This part is also important, as it addresses the only thing the railroad truly cares about.

If the rail company fails to meet the demands, the EPA said it will immediately step in, conduct the necessary work and then seek to compel Norfolk Southern to pay triple the cost.

Norfolk Southern will no doubt try to delay using the courts but in this case it will only end up costing the shareholders more.

17 Likes

Yeah, I was wondering how in the hell you get lax folks to take accountability, but 3X the fine could be an incentive. :man_shrugging:

7 Likes

I’m thinking armed thugs storming boardrooms accompanied by lawyers to explain things in no uncertain terms myself. A boy can dream, right?

4 Likes

Norfolk Southern, which operated the train laden with toxic chemicals which derailed near East Palestine, Ohio, will have to pay for the cleanup of the site.

It’s infuriating that they had to be compelled to do this. Also:

COMPENSATE. THE. RESIDENTS.

8 Likes

Seems to me there was grave concern not so long ago that the EPA had lost all power and was completely toothless? Good to know that’s not the case.

4 Likes

No doubt the railroad will file for chapter 11 bankruptcy protection to avoid paying.

2 Likes

I don’t know what you’re talking about. We already offered them five whole dollars each, which must be more than their homes are even worth. Now.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.