Eternal September and the broadening of horizons

My grandparents were as well, but not in '93. However, I was on AOL in '93. (I also had a dial-up unix shell account at Pitt.) I added nothing to the diversity.
But yours and mine are both just anecdotes.

The new people didn’t bother me, but oh the influx of MAKE MONEY FAST… that’s what killed it more than anything.

1 Like

Is that @miasm’s avatar in the background?

5 Likes

Hey, if you think yelling into the wind with your complaint about the site on a random topic thread will actually get you results instead of making you feel like you’re doing something, go for it. Expect to be mocked though.

Mocked? No, Mr. bill, I expect to be bored.

1 Like

I’ve been discovered!

2 Likes

This is true, but in constructive ways they need to slowly assimilate as they give back. This is often times not possible when they flood in faster than they can adopt any of the original culture.

Mod note: Stay on topic.

1 Like

My original comment got horribly rambly, so I’m going to try to keep this one more focused:

This topic brings to mind the flurry of reddit-related drama some time back, and the various opinions on whether reddit’s more…colorful…characters were harmless as long as they stayed in their subreddits; harmless if they stayed in their subreddits but dangerously unlikely to do so; a contaminating pox upon the entire site; or so egregious as to make touching any aspect of reddit unacceptable.

At the time, there was certainly a great deal of disagreement about how contained they needed to be(kept to their subreddits? Driven over to voat?); but my impression was that, with disagreement about what amount of distance meant ‘let in’, people generally agreed that who you let in is going to have a major impact on the community; and that sometimes that is Bad.

How are we drawing the line between online communities that are ‘insular’, ‘exclusive’, ‘elitist’, etc. and online communities that wish to maintain a certain way of doing things and don’t think that they can do so with some of the new members? (Especially in light of the fact that there was, architecturally, more or less unlimited ‘space’ in the Usenet group structure; especially if AOL wasn’t particularly concerned about getting their groups carried by other systems, they could expose whatever groups they felt like to their subscribers, so it’s not as though they needed to be ‘kicked off usenet’ any more than being eaten by @falcor counts as being kicked off the internet).

I’d be very curious to know what @codinghorror makes of this. He has posted a fair amount about studying the care and feeding of online communities, and how they work(and don’t); but I strongly suspect that he has also been in the position to observe people using pure techie obscurantism just because it intimidates the mundanes.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.