Ethnicity detection camera

Power-hungry firms and politicians ruined most of these films for me. Maybe we should have a campaign event where candidates watch Gattaca, and then tell voters what they liked and disliked about it. :thinking:

3 Likes

Your ethnicity is your cultural affiliation, so it doesn’t have a definite correlation with what you look like. If they mean race, well, race is made up, so whatever their camera decides is as accurate as anything else. But that’s useless and - racist.

Sadly, these racist systems fail to detect my Viking heritage and insist on lumping me in with Saxons. :no_mouth:

4 Likes

Marketers who misgendered me caused some really horrifying spam in one of my accounts. The pills, ointments, nostrums, unguents, and devices in those ads guaranteed to “enhance my size” made mayonnaise seem like something I might actually use (if accompanied by a 55 gallon drum of hot sauce):

2 Likes

Anyone else getting ads for male and female sex enhancers at the same time because the marketers have no idea what gender you are? I know I am.

What’s worse is that I swear I get ads based on what I say and what the people around me say. My phone must pick up on it. I went to the doctor one day, the doctor said “you have XYZ, take these pills” and then by the time I got home I was getting ads for XYZ meds.That’s gotta be a HIPAA violation.

7 Likes

Not so far, unless ads for hookup apps could be considered a euphemism for female sex enhancement…:grimacing:

3 Likes

The problem is, once law enforcement gets a warrant, those private racial profiling algorithms and data becomes government racial profiling algorithms and data.

Even if that weren’t the case, I don’t believe giving private corporations that much power over our lives is a positive thing, either. I don’t even believe it’s the lesser of two evils, but the same evil in one.

4 Likes

As long as it’s your phone collecting your data (voluntarily, just like you agreed to in that random app’s terms of service) and not your doctor’s phone, it’s all legal.

3 Likes

It’s scary to see how HIPAA doesn’t protect against data collection for marketing:

3 Likes

Good point. When you buy something at the pharmacy using a credit card, some nebulous data collection service somewhere is churning on that information.

2 Likes

Are we all absolutely sure that advert isn’t a Scarfolk poster?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.