Ethnicity detection camera

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/11/ethnicity-detection-camera.html

4 Likes

Wow, cyberpunk 2077 looks lit af.

/sarc

16 Likes

I believe they should call this Phrenology 2019

26 Likes

As per usual, this is something that’s already been happening in capitalist countries for years.

It apparently began in Japan, but it is now widespread throughout Western countries.

https://twitter.com/gamblelee/status/862307447276544000?s=21

I’ve got a mate who works as an IT engineer for a company that services retailers. According to him, this sort of tech is routinely used in Australia as well.

15 Likes

Gotta catch em all!

1 Like

what could possibly go wrong

19 Likes

What may be harmless in a democracy, may not be so much the same in a dictatorship?
Target advertising VS population surveillance.

(The tweeter screen shot do not profile race, just gender)

2 Likes

what makes you so sure that it’s harmless in a democracy? or was that sarcasm?

25 Likes

7 Likes

12 Likes

Yeah, when I worked for a national retailer, stores had people tracker cameras with gait and facial recognition.

If a store was adhering to their planogram, then the people trackers could tell with near perfect accuracy the SKUs of everything everyone looked at.

1 Like

Well, There is bad and there is worst.

The advertising billboard target an adv depending on your skin color; I’m quite ok with that.
A police checkpoint is looking at racial profile to stop people and I’m less agree.

When a private company do bad things, it’s a bit easier to get away and choose another one than when it’s your government. Suddenly, that’s another story.
And if your government is a dictatorship…

3 Likes

Well there’s your first problem.

3 Likes

This isn’t a Hikvision ad. It was a mock-up made by IPVM - imagining (and critiquing) the sort of things that could be done with the ethnicity detection built by Hikvision.

5 Likes

Future AI: “Are you Jewish? You don’t look Jewish.”

5 Likes

Unless the billboard is advertising makeup designed to compliment your complexion that’s still pretty dang creepy and highly problematic.

Imagine a billboard that alternated between advertising Cabernet Sauvignon or Malt Liquor depending on the skin tone of the person looking at it.

14 Likes

I do believe “Uyghur detection feature” is the answer to all “What could go wrong” and “How is this a bad thing” questions that will inevitably come up in a thread like this. And yeah, all the techno-dystopian movies seem to be more and more documentary-like.

9 Likes

He was not suggesting it’s “harmless” in a capitalist country, as it is not.

Oh, well, it’s fine then… /s

snl-black-jeopary-say-what-now

Um… no. Not if they are using this sort of thing in public locations, or when said corporation has a monopoly on the market, as we’re seeing especially with tech companies. You may not BUY from that company, but it is STILL tracking you in real time. Just like for those of us not on facebook, there are still shadow profiles which we did not opt into by having an account on facebook. Yes, corporate control of our mass media environment is as much of a problem as state control of our mass media environment. Neither are particular conducive to human freedom.

14 Likes

No wonder I’m getting all these ads for 55 gallon drums of mayonnaise

10 Likes

Gait recognition? Great, now I’ve got to add this to my list of things to learn:

8 Likes