Etsy sellers say their bank accounts were emptied in major billing snafu

Hello BBS,
Etsy is lying about the small group of sellers were affected. Since Saturday sellers have been unable to go to the forum and add their complaints, only the Fridays concerns are posted. This story has legs and the sellers need help. Etsy is not refunding the money back into the sellers banking accts. just their Etsy seller accounts WTF??? I do believe they have been hacked!!! No one is helping from Etsy, just sending a mass updated e-mail from a rep. Please look into this story, because they are lying and given everyone false information that the sellers have been refunded. Thank you

8 Likes

Assuming everything else shakes out ok the tax thing shouldn’t be that hard to deal with. Just record a matching business expense and it’ll cancel out the income.

I’ve been a seller (vascillating between active and non) for nine years, and finally, finally, I think this is the last straw after years of micro agressions and mistreatment of sellers. It’s shocking that I have to learn about this issue from a third party website, even if I wasn’t effected. It may take some time to find a cost effective alternative, but I’m out.

6 Likes

We also have “continuous payment authorities” where repeated payments can be taken from your debit or credit card and these are generally bad news.

2 Likes

Is this how magazine subscriptions are able to resurrect long-dead credit cards? I’ve always been frustrated that they are somehow able to bring cards back from the dead even if the card number changes – but if I get a card with a new expiration date, NPR throws a fit.

5 Likes

Every day I become less and less fond of the modern world.

3 Likes

Having now worked as a software dev in two different industries that are fairly critical to the perpetuation of the modern world (banking and convenience stores/gas stations), the fact that the world is not in a perpetual and permanent state of “very on fire” is a god damned miracle. “Held together with bailing wire and duct tape” is probably a generous description.

12 Likes

Having worked tech support it feels like ‘I am surprised we haven’t managed to cause our sudden and immediate extinction yet’

10 Likes

While fine in theory, this approach founders on the absurd backwardness of many smaller US banks. My mother’s bank doesn’t support real electronic bill paying. If she pays a bill using the bank’s website, I have been told that the bank creates an actual paper check and sends it to the payee. O.o

2 Likes

6 Likes

A real check mailed or an electronic transfer all depends on the bank and the payee. Either way though, it gets there. Just might take longer, but the bank should tell you how long it will take. That’s a good clue for how it’s being delivered too. One day vs four day payment is an easy tell.

In this case, the speed is a trade off. Four day lead time vs giving the merchant account access. Or pester the merchant to sign up with the bank for direct deposit. The bank usually makes this easy for anyone that gets enough payments.

1 Like

This is what I do from my credit union. It does require me to go and type in the transfer amount and schedule the payment for each bill. But that also keeps me in the loop of what I am being charged. It is much easier to see an issue and get it resolved when they don’t already have my money.

From what I understand, my bank does an e-transfer when possible, if the receiver isn’t set up to take e-transfers then my bank cuts a check and mails it to them. I set the date the payment needs to arrive and the bank adjusts to make sure the payment arrives on time. In many years I have never missed a payment date.

ETA: Of course some services are subscription only, and I use a credit card in those cases.

I had this happen last year on my credit card. I noticed there was a charge on my CC for $1 to some music subscription service I had never heard of . It had slipped my notice for a few months since the amount was so small.

When I noticed it I called the CC company to notify them of the false charges. They did a reverse on the charges and issued me a new CC #. The next month another charge came in. As I understand it, if you use CC number AAAAA to set up this kind of subscription to draw from account 12345. The automatic subscription withdrawals bypass your credit card number and instead will always be directly against account 12345. So changing your CC won’t stop them from accessing your account. My problem was escalated to some other team and they were able to stop this direct access before the next charge came in.

3 Likes

I have. My partner had a $3,000 campaign that was $100 shy of its goal when the news hit. Fortunately no one has been charged for their donations, but it’s been quite a headache for her for sure.

1 Like

I had this done once. I called the police, said I’d located my stolen car, gave the address, and waited. When they arrived I showed them the code on my phone stating cars must be tagged for 24 hours before being towed in my state.

There’s some language in the statue about immediate towing on roads, at parking meters etc. Also in emergencies. But emergencies are defined (ex: you’re blocking an exit, fire hydrant, etc). If you’re not depriving the city of revenue (blocking meter) it’s not an emergency just by being parked illegally.

I got the impression that the cop was smart enough to parse that I knew my rights and if he waved his hands and called it a civil matter I’d file a complaint against him, so he told the guy to let me have my car and he better not get called back again.

3 Likes

Yikes, that sucks. I guess everyone is going to have to go back to Kickstarter and figure out their own fulfillment again

1 Like

I think the trick some credit card companies use is to require you to enter more information with a postal bill than you can attach to a bill pay memo line.

1 Like

Ah. That doesn’t surprise me. I only have one CC to pay and minimal bills so haven’t had any problems.

I used to have everything set up for auto-pay for ease of payment. Then about 10 years ago I saw a couple people I knew had issues with Paypal draining their bank accounts into the negative by several thousand dollars right as they paid their bills. Which caused all their attempts to pay bills including mortgages to bounce. The bank pilled on fees. All the payees piled on fees. Each time it took close to 6 months to work everything out. The first time I saw it happened I wrote it off as a unique glitch.

The second time I saw it happen in the span of two years I decided giving external companies free access to my accounts is just a huge clusterfuck waiting to happen.

ETA: these folks besides setting up for paypal to have direct access had all of their billers set up this way. So when things went bad there were about a dozen independent systems repeatedly trying to withdraw the money owed (adding a new NSF fee each attempt). All these automated system just snowballed out of control.

2 Likes

Because everything in the us is designed to fuck the customer? and let me tell you, thats exactly the way I pay my bills and - as an comparative example for etsy - my ebay-account. its common practice and called “überweisung” in germany. you can allow the seller (or anybody else) access to you bank-account for instant payment (“Lastschrift”), but you dont have to. and you can also always cancel that access in an instant.

4 Likes

as far as it goes for germany/austria; absolutly. see my last post.

1 Like

Agreed. The benefit of Pledge Music over Kickstarter was that PM campaigns would pay out even if the goal wasn’t reached. It’s annoying that she has to ask everyone to go through the donation process a 2nd time, plus the time and effort behind the campaign are now wasted.

1 Like