Even if Moore's Law is "running out," there's still plenty of room at the bottom

OMG, we agree on something.

Who do you think pays the paychecks of all of us who work in “the industry?”

Unlike you, I don’t want to squat in some place and look in dumpsters for food. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I was working at a video game company that got a new set of safety regulations (possibly because we had just been purchased? details are a bit vague) but we were purely in the business of making software, so it was kind of awesome to read all the very specific new corporate prohibitions against various things we were never likely to do, including “you must never use a screwdriver as a chisel”

Anyway, just to put this slightly back on topic, I remember the first time I went to a presentation about multithreaded programming - I was working at EA and the xbox 360 & ps3 were still novel. Making code work take advantage of multiple processors is very much something that presents a cost in terms of having to think about concurrency when you’re writing code. And the more you scale up the number of processors, the more you will only have certain specific problem sets that can really take advantage of the extra cores.

Even now, in an environment where concurrency is inevitable and people have had 10 years to get used to that fact, it’s still not unheard of to run across code that seems to have been designed based on the assumption that it can read and write data all across god’s green earth without any consideration for what other code might be running at the same time.

4 Likes

Oh, come, come. Everyone has a monday morning where they feel like that’s a viable alternative at some point :stuck_out_tongue:

some of the sources I have to read looks like they were chiseled out of the codeplex with a screwdriver, by a blind and drunken monkey

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.