Everything is a Remix on "The Force Awakens"

2 Likes

Oh, don’t worry none. I’m sure JJ has rewritten the Star Wars universe such that an ethereal Han, surrounded by blue light a la Obi-Wan, will make a return.

1 Like

I certainly agree with the fact that A Force Awakens is a complete remix, but the video maker seems to lack the indignation that this should inspire in the fanbase.

At about one-third through consuming A Force Awakens, I just had to slump in resignation: every 5-10 minutes, another callback to A New Hope relentlessly appeared. Oh, a cantina scene. Oh, another death star. Oh, an assembly of fascist troops. Oh, another Darth Vader. On and on and on. I mean, even with the insipid repetition, it still was better than Lucas’ Episodes I, II, and III (but this says more about just how stultifying Lucas was, than how good Abrams might be).

Basically, the movie only “works” for people too young to have seen ANH (but, even that doesn’t work because everyone has seen ANH).

So, Abrams got the keys to the franchise, and his response was to pull apart ANH and not so subtlely reassemble it shot-for-shot into this Remake/Remix/Reboot, that, sure, isn’t as bad as what Lucas would have done, but isn’t as good as what 90% of the fanbase wanted. (Yet, we were so relieved that it wasn’t as bad as Lucas, that we kind of shrugged and gave our approval.)

Do we have to let Abrams do another 2 remixes? Must we wait 10-20 years for X/XI/XII to be made for there to be one more unreservedly good Star Wars film (if by chance, the mantle can be passed to someone who actually can add something of quality to the canon)?

2 Likes

Star Wars Minus Star Wars

Great video! I’m a little confused though: it seems like “cheating” to utilize clips that came after Star Wars. I thought the whole point was to recreate Star Wars using the references Star Wars itself used…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.