Evidently blowing on video game cartridges did not help

Mr. Science says we need to remember to use science to try to disprove the things we think we know. Then he asserts that (he knows that) blowing the cartridges did not help. He doesn’t even provide an alternative hypothesis for why the cartridges sometimes failed and sometimes didn’t.

But if you spin the batteries in your TV remote you’ll definitely get more juice out of them right?

2 Likes

I’ll admit to blowing on NES cartridges, had to remove the eraser dust after polishing the contacts. Part of the fun

Right, I guess the title was “Why Did We Blow On Nintendo Games?” and to that end they did covered logical fallacies. However, ending the video with the answer of “science” without doing any science was so unsatisfying.

The Arcadia Supercharger was third-party add-on hardware which came a few years after the 2600’s initial release. The game programs were stored on a cassette tape that you’d plug into a tape player and run a line to the big beefy cartridge (it had a big handle you could grab) which was inserted into the console’s PCB cartridge slot. I think the cartridge had some kind of memory banking scheme allowing for more program and sprite data than the allowable 2K or whatever.

I remember the game that shipped with the Supercharger, “Communist Mutants from Space” which reflected the Cold War rhetoric of those times.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.