Ex-Babes in Toyland bassist says her rape essay in Boing Boing was "catalyst" for getting kicked out of the band

Heh.

9 Likes

That the essay is one of their grievances is so unpunk, it’s really disappointing.

5 Likes

Yeah, well look what happened to him.

4 Likes

Or maybe you’ve just had enough after decades of their shit?

1 Like

You appear to be lucky enough to not have anybody in your life whose shit you have put up with for years and years, keeping up the relationship due to some sense of obligation (whether professional, family, or simply out if hair since they’ve been in your life so long). Count your blessings, but recognize that not everybody has lived the same life you have.

3 Likes

You know my uncle?

2 Likes

Yeah, it is. You may not have met many of them, and that’s okay, but your experiences are not comprehensive reflections of reality.

I’m not defending Barbero at all, you understand. I have no idea what went on betwen the two of them, and she certainly picked a shitty thing to make a point out of. And sure, it’s problematic to say of someone you’ve been willingly going onstage with for 20 years.

But “toxic” is a perfectly cromulent word for a person who is not just an asshole, but actively drains you and you’d be better off completely exiling them from your life. If you’ve got a better word for that specific concept, I’d be happy to hear it. Dismissing an entire swath of people because they use a bit of vocab that you once heard a jerk use is silly.

7 Likes

Is this your uncle?

1 Like

Where is the extremely nuanced like button?

2 Likes

There’s a lot to untangle here, but I’d like to pull this specific bit out from Mark’s post:

Joan Jett, the Runaway’s guitarist, responded to the news by denying that the rape happened.

Mark, unless you can point to a specific instance (with a link to it) in which Jett literally said that, no. Jett has said that, according to her recollection, she wasn’t there, and wouldn’t have let it happen (or let Kim Fowley get away with it) if she had. This is contradicted by what other people have said, but it should be noted that these people (not all of whom are named) did not do anything themselves to stop the attack or notify the police afterward.

It’s possible that Jett was there and simply blocked the event from her memory. It’s possible that the people who put her at the scene were wrong. What bothered me about Herman’s essay was how, after she made a token acknowledgement that it was, in fact, Kim Fowley’s fault, she joined the pile-on on Jett for not being unqualifiedly supportive of Fuchs, regardless of what she actually remembered about that night. There are a bunch of things that need to be considered, including possible problems with Jason Cherkis’ article (I’ve posted the link in BBS before, but it’s worth repeating), and the fact that all of this takes place in the context of the contentious relationships between the ex-Runaways; it wouldn’t be entirely inaccurate to describe the band as having actually played together for five years and spent the next thirty-five threatening to sue each other.

As far as Herman’s problems with her band, I suspect that it’s also much more about the stuff that took place over the course of the previous twenty-three years.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.