Examples of "dark design patterns" -- aka, asshole designs

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/04/17/examples-of-dark-design-patt.html

4 Likes

I had a hard time getting Apple to refund the $50 she accidentally spent.

Boycott them.

[sent from my iPhone]

28 Likes

Attach one of those temporary credit card numbers or an emptied pre-paid card to your accounts.

12 Likes

Reminder to check your land line phone bill for unauthorized billings (which, some years back, landed me ~$450 refund). Question everything.

9 Likes

I do that a lot - some gadget or service will say “we aren’t going to ever charge you anything unless you specifically tell us to but you have to give us a real credit card number because totally legit reasons” and I put in an expired VISA gift card. Then after some amount of time, Roku or whoever complains to me that they couldn’t charge my card. :laughing::laughing: :laughing:

15 Likes

What’s a land line? /s

11 Likes

Oh, Honey, I’ll explain it to you along with ‘Chicken Pox Parties’ and manual transmissions.

Chicken Pox Party

8 Likes

What’s a land line? /s

So help me if If you say whats a computer next …

11tTNkNy1SdXGg

5 Likes

Why do people say “to hang up the phone?” and why are albums also called records?

7 Likes

C’mere, punk…I wanna show you my landline:

Tony Soprano beats bartender with phone

…can’t do THAT with an iPhone…

3 Likes

Totally unrealistic. Tony would totally be browsing on his phone and the bartender would be texting or using an app. /s

3 Likes

Show someone born in the twenty-first century the bomb-at-the-transmitter episode of WKRP and watch their head explode over the phone cops joke.

4 Likes

You made me guffaw. EXCEPT Tony would be on the toilet…

1 Like

Totally unrealistic. You know nothing can smash those old Ma Bell rotary phones.

4 Likes

You could likely confuse a young person these days with a check book :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Two years ago, a pair of neighborhood shorties asked if they could borrow my phone. I handed them my pristine white slimline push-button phone with the 4-wire LANDLINE attached, and they were just boggled. I had to show them how to lift the phone out of the cradle and hang it up.

8 Likes

Lmao, granted outside of my office i don’t think i ever encounter wired phones. I do appreciate having an actual phone to use, i particularly relish having needy customers call me and and me not having to pick up. There’s no expectation that they can reach me whenever. I have a coworker that has a work cellphone and her customers call her whenever, even at night during the weekends.

2 Likes

Actual photo of my actual desk phones right now.

11 Likes

Could somebody explain what the scam is in that screenshot? I haven’t used a smartphone in many years, and I’ve never used an iPhone.

1 Like

Which one is the prop?

2 Likes