Experian sold consumer data to identity thieves' service

Can? Yes. Are? It would be quite exceptional.

2 Likes

Nothing happens if you check your own credit rating.

It depends on how you check it. If you ask a friend at a bank or car dealership to pull your own credit reports, watch that score go down for no other reason than that you dared to check your own credit score.

That said, you’re correct… as long as you do it carefully they’ll call it “soft” (if they don’t make an error, that is). And, nowadays, I do agree it’s easier to find free credit reports without it affecting your score and bank account as long as you avoid “imposter” websites.

However, if it’s done while simply applying for credit, etc. they’ll hit your score. God forbid you perform thrifty apartment hunting over a reasonable period of time in an expensive housing market, etc. in order to find the best location, etc. – they’ll keep hitting your score if you don’t do it in a short enough amount of time even if that’s to your long-term detriment with higher rent, more gas via poor location, etc, etc… They assume that large numbers of inquiries means greater risk even if you’re just doing it to be choosey in finding a new apartment, etc.

It’s also a great way to beat people while they’re down. Someone young starting out with little or no credit gets turned down at various apartments… and every damn time they try to find a place live, they get a hit to their score if they don’t do it quick enough. That’s bullshit.

1 Like

Creepy as fuck: ever since this thread, this ad has been following me around:

And it actually wasn’t Experian, looking back I apparently got my report from them and TransUnion. Must have been the third, whatever that it.

Why is anybody shocked or scandalized? I’ve assumed for decades, probably since I read Neuromancer, or Sterling’s “Islands in the Net” which featured pirated offshore databases, that all personal data was for sale, if not by your contract partners, then by a 3rd party. Think about it, for every instance you hear about a massive data loss, there must be a hundred by more competent thieves that left no trace, since stolen data is still where you left it. Like on Wall Street, only the extremely sloppy get caught.

Not for me. I have 7 living relatives who share my name, and there were at least 2 others unrelated in the town where I grew up. When I was five, my mother brought me to a drug store to pick up antibiotics when I was sick, and they tried to give her medicine to help me stop smoking. Same problem.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.