Extra “Teen Tax” added to bill for children dining alone at New Jersey restaurant

Minimum wage ≠ living wage

2 Likes

So, before, when waitstaff were making $2.13/hr with no benefits, I was expected to tip 15-20%. And now that they make $10.50/hr, plus benefits, I’m still expected to tip 15-20%?

2 Likes

That’s close to UK minimum wage (That’s still not an actual living wage, it might pass for the watered down version though) and 10-12.5% is the advisory tip here.

So, yes, you should still tip. You can re-evaluate once waiting staff get an actual living wage.

In practice, I usually tip 20%. It’s easier to work out and the staff probably need the money.

1 Like

Dude I said living wage as we pointed out to you by @the_borderer. Also Seattle is $15/hr and that is barely a living wage here now so I dread to think how one would get by on $10.50/hr in SF. So yes you should tip.

1 Like

Service employees make a minimum wage of $2.13 an hour. They depend on tips to survive. The owners of the restaurant want to keep the prices of food items low to keep customers. Your responsibility, yes RESPONSIBILITY, is to make up the difference by tipping.

So, pat yourself on the back for being an asshole when you don’t tip.

1 Like

It’s certainly more expensive at Seattle restaurants that have started adding a service charge to the bill! This is in addition to the tip.

First part is a specious argument. You know you’re including a 15% to 20% tip. If that was included in the price of the food and you didn’t have to tip would that change anything?

Second part. I did, but all he did was say he supported Roy Moore, even if he was a pedophile.

It’s not specious, it’s absolutely 100% true. If people are trying to decide between two otherwise comparable restaurants and one has 20% higher prices, they will go to the one with lower prices. Even if you post signs saying “we have a no tipping policies”, some (high) percentage of people will not read the signs. Of those who did read the signs, some (high) percentage would not bother to do the math and still just go to the place with the lower prices. Even if 80% of people bothered to read the notices and do the math (which I think is much higher than is likely) the “tip included” restaurant is still at a phenomenal competitive disadvantage. Margins are super-thin in the restaurant business so it would go out of business very quick with even 20% less business than its competitors.

Yeah, you should work on voting him out. In the meantime, he’s still your congressperson and if you really care about this issue this is the route to work towards accomplishing what you want. Restaurants won’t do it themselves because, for obvious reasons, they don’t want to go out of business (it doesn’t really help the servers when they do).

1 Like

It’s your opinion, not fact. Therefore, it’s specious and not 100% true.

I was being sarcastic. Maybe I should use an emoji next time. :wink:

So I guess I should have been tipping 40-50% before, when they were making $2.13/hr? After all, we have to get them up to a living wage.

Showing off to the other people they’re eating with, not random strangers at other tables.

Please don’t post insulting remarks.

It’s an infinitely better choice than a reign of terror.

Or maybe you could charge sensible prices so you can pay your fucking staff the award rate and do away with goddamn tipping!

Did you read the part of my post where it said that servers earn a normal wage where I live?

So, pat yourself on the back for being an asshole when you don’t read.

1 Like

This is disgusting. If anyone should be taxed for being bad customers, it’s baby boomers.

What about everyone else who makes minimum wage? Fast food workers aren’t tipped. Janitors, cashiers, etc. Why aren’t we tipping them?

The point is to get to the point where tips are unnecessary before getting rid of them. Getting rid of tips first is A grade Randian sociopathy (The exam anyone with any sense wants to fail)

If we have a real living wage for everyone they you won’t need to tip anyone. That’s what you want, isn’t it?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.