Eye-Fi orphans 14 products, which will therefore cease to function

I don’t know that it was exactly a quiet move. Our TV has flashed messages about Skype services ending for what seems like forever.

1 Like

Fair enough. From the comments on the Skype site there was a lot of expressions of surprise and accusations of no warning, but people may just have skipped the warnings.

Our TV is a Samsung too, but I never go into the smarthub stuff–the only thing I’ve noticed is an “Update available” type message that’s occasionally appeared at the top of the screen as it comes on. My wife (queen of the remote) has always closed it without updating, so for all I know they haven’t yanked it from our set yet.).

Here’s a premade letter if you want to gripe at EyeFi, not that it will do any good.

I have been a happy Eye-Fi user for years. They’ve generally worked well and I recommended them to others.

Receiving your email about removing support for X2 cards this morning has made me furious. That your company would have the gall to sell cards that would be obsolete within a few years is preposterous. Weasel words about “encryption technologies changing” etc are meaningless, as SSL has not changed fundamentally over this time and all the Wifi protocols are still supported by today’s routers. Nor is an option given to just accept the risks.

There’s no reason these cards should even need an outside service just to transfer photos camera-to-PC.

I suspect you are cutting costs by not having to maintain older systems to support the older cards. Your company has an obligation to your customers to make sure the cards work without your involvement beyond your support period, or to keep supporting the cards. If you were offering an decent discount on upgraded cards then I could stomach the transition, but a 20% discount adds insult to injury.

I would have updated to the Mobi cards in time anyway, but out of principle I will avoid Eye-Fi products in the future and advise my photographing friends to do the same.

Shame on your company.

2 Likes

It was daily for, like, forever. Obvs, our TV is a Samsung, otherwise, these comments make no sense. But to say you weren’t warned is a big lie. We never used the service, but the warnings of its impending doom we noted because the TV told us every day for waaaaay too long.

That’s the nail-head to hit.

I suppose there are good reasons to migrate some product’s functionality “to the cloud,” but “so that we can make more money from you” isn’t one of them!

I don’t have a twitter account, but if I did, this would be the one feed I would follow:

https://twitter.com/internetofshit?lang=en

“Can’t leave the house right now. My front-door firmware is updating…”

1 Like

I’d given thought to buying an Eye-Fi when I start up my next large photography or video project. Their move on this one has pretty much ruled them out. Their product isn’t expensive but I don’t need to start relying on a tool from a company that behaves like this.

Other models or not, I’ll find another company to go with. :laughing:

1 Like

The card should be able to just put the camera on the local WiFi network, read-only perhaps. A camera is more like a network printer, scanner, or shared drive than an IoT device.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.