FAA to allow wider use of electronic devices

[Permalink]

This will be interesting with international flights. Which country controls the rules for which segment? And will people get the hang of following different rules for different circumstances?

1 Like

I hope other countries follow the FAA’s lead on this one.

In my experience, it depends on where you land and whose airspace you are in. For example, when you fly internationally to Australia, they check your passport and otherwise your security is the same. Once you arrive in Australia, you follow Australia’s rules for travel, and other domestic flights in Australia have their own security (no umbrellas, don’t give a shit about your shoes, etc.). When you return to the US, you have a separate layer of security that is much more strict before you get to the gate. This follows US regulations.

Similarly, when one flies to Saudi Arabia, airlines stop serving alcohol in Saudi Arabia airspace. They’re obeying their laws. More importantly, though, the airlines have an incentive to obey the laws of whichever country they’re flying into or out of as they have to maintain their lease for a gate at the terminal. Because of that, airlines tend to be more conservative than necessary.

I’m not an FAA employee or anything, but what this means is that if you fly into a country where this is not the case, when you’re under 10k feet you’ll be prompted to turn off the device. But I imagine others will follow suit shortly.

1 Like

Alec Baldwin can relax now.

Wider is good. I was hoping for thicker, though.

This topic was automatically closed after 10 days. New replies are no longer allowed.