Facebook allowed job ads to exclude women

You do know that there are male nurses right?

18 Likes

Oh sure, clearly, I know several personally. In fact I know one male nurse who probably does read Guns & Ammo. But when you’re doing an ad buy, you target where it’s going to give the best results. 90% of nurses are women so you target that. Now it would be smart for someone to target the under-targeted 10% who are men, but aside from that, the issue is, no efficient recruiting effort would target men and women equally for this job, right?

Advertising for nurses in Cosmo would be stupid enough to get you fired too.
You advertise where you think people interested in your job will be looking for jobs.
If your level of insight is “this is a man’s job” or “girls do this”, you are incompetent.

If you specifically exclude a gender from seeing your advertisements, you are also being discriminatory.

17 Likes

Holy fucksocks, this thread…

18 Likes

Right. Stay classy, Mark.

2 Likes

Seriously? I take it you are not in advertising or anything even tangentially related to marketing.

In short, to make it more effective. This is how both facebook and google make all their money. Two of the big five’s business models are rooted in this. Trying to coordinate the right eyeballs with the right ads, and providing tools to do so by “segmenting” and “targeting”

You do not understand how advertising works Mindy. You absolutely target it, it’s unavoidable because advertising is paid for and you have to decide where to buy.

That’s why the classified in the New Yorker are different than those in Mother Earth or the Economist.

I feel you are being intentionally dense.

There is an obvious difference between work in which the gender of the employee is relevant to the ability to complete the job. It is not discrimination to only hire people who are qualified.

It is discrimination to make possessing a penis one of the qualifications of firefighting, software engineering, financial advising, etc. Even if you think that having a penis makes you much better at those jobs.

15 Likes

And if you target in such a way as to exclude otherwise qualified candidates on the basis of sex, race, or other protected categories, you are violating the law.

15 Likes

Absolutely. Target all you want. You just have to target within the confines of the law. That means not targeting men over women.

16 Likes

Well, I was just hoping someone who knew more about the actual law would enlighten me, and I thought such information would benefit the thread enough that I could get away with asking for it.

So, maybe not intentionally dense, but yah definitely lazy since I could have researched it myself. I will accept the fair criticism due for being a lazy dense slacker.

2 Likes

Jesus Christ…

If you can prove that a certain ad is more effective with women than men. So you run two side by side campaigns - one for men and one for women. How is that :

That’s just using your job marketing budget more effectively.

There was a case a while back of a guy suing Hooters for not hiring men as servers. Unfortunately, they settled, so the courts never got to rule on whether being female in this case was a “bona-fide occupational qualification.”

6 Likes

Read the article you mean?

The employers appear to have used Facebook’s targeting technology to exclude women from the users who received their advertisements

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that what the article is saying happened is only a problem if what the article says happened, happened.

I guess I can agree with that.

11 Likes

“It is illegal for an employer to publish a job advertisement that shows a preference for or discourages someone from applying for a job because of his or her race, color, religion, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), national origin, age (40 or older), disability or genetic information.”

“For example, a help-wanted ad that seeks “females” or “recent college graduates” may discourage men and people over 40 from applying and may violate the law.”

https://www.eeoc.gov/laws/practices/

Not buying the marketing bullshit.

15 Likes

I quoted that specifically, pointing out that it’s beside the point in this case because any platform or media outlet that sells ad space and that explicitly and as a matter of design facilitates an help-wanted advertiser’s ability to choose to discriminate (e.g. by only advertising to men) on the basis of immutable characteristics is aiding and abetting that advertiser in violating labour law.

If you complain about people not reading before replying it’s unbecoming to ignore a direct response that specifically addresses one of your points.

14 Likes

If you are reading Cosmo or Guns & Ammo for the job postings you are doing something very very wrong. Doubly so for the person paying for posting there.

13 Likes

Actually if you’re vetting qualified nurses it shouldn’t matter. Women read Guns and Ammo and men read Cosmo. It’s not the same thing, but your ingrained sexism tells you it is. False equivalence. Besides what’s happening here is more like running a nursing ad in a nursing magazine THEN only printing that version to send to male subscribers.

17 Likes

Male stripper?

In every tech company I have worked at. There was a marketing team that handled our products and there was a HR team that handled hiring for specific jobs. The former used targeted marketing strategies as you describe. The latter posted terse descriptions of the job requirements and then we were flooded with applicants (no need for marketing magic). On occasion I have seen HR teams use marketing to promote working at the company in general (not for specific position) and while they did use some marketing tools they are typically very careful to show and verbally address ethnic and gender diversity (Usually stressing it way more than the actual reality).

So I am a little uncertain why you keep confusing ads with job postings. Trying to sell people stuff is a very different activity from filtering out a huge number of eager applicants down to a manageable group of qualified applicants for a specific job position. The type of your genitals just isn’t a useful metric in evaluating the ability to perform most jobs.

18 Likes