Facebook bans famous war photo because the screaming, napalmed child's genitals are offensive

My friend Randy tells so many horrific story’s of Vietnam. Having a nighttime fire fight and finding dead child soldiers in the morning. We have always been lied too.

7 Likes

Ditto.

Facebook isn’t an ISP, nor a monopoly. There are a million sites you can spout your opinions and post pics.

You can’t walk into a restaurant with no shoes. Some restaurants even require a dress code. Even grocery stores require shirts and shoes. None of these places are denying your ability to feed yourself, they just have some basic rules of conduct in order for you to acquire the food. Most places make you put on pants too.

Facebook owes you nothing.

It’s only objective that every single web forum will “censor” at some point.

Start your own and you will too.

You have a naive opinion of what it takes to manage any community.

1 Like
5 Likes

These are different issues. If Facebook said, “You can’t post pics of Vietnamese kids.” That would be wrong. A “no nudity” rule is fine and completely different.

Using your gay cake as an example, one should be able to refuse a design of a cake because it is lewd or vulgar. They can’t refuse to make a cake because the person is gay, black, jewish, etc.

11 Likes

Welp. Okay then. I guess I’m done here.

1 Like

because the sheer scale of Facebook as a social network is close to monopolistic. So everything it starts dicking around with on the margins of social networking (especially media, news and advertising) has a whiff of trust about it.

4 Likes

My alternative is to not use it. I’m not trying to disparage you or anyone else that uses the site with that remark, but I really don’t understand that statement. (Yeah, OK, if it’s how you stay in contact with your family that’s moved across the country or whatnot, then I can at least understand that part, but … well, that’s actually similar to my situation, and I still won’t use the damned thing.)

Again, I’m not going to make a choice for someone else, but I don’t get expressing hatred for it, but using it anyway.

2 Likes

I use it because I’m a part of a very small minority. Facebook offers the most comprehensive state based groups for that. Also, if I didn’t exist on FB, my coworker would dig deeper looking for me. This way my “public” persona is nice, pg rated, and what they expect.

3 Likes

OK, so you apparently have a false front, just so nosy parkers will have something to find. I can kind of understand that, although mostly in a roundabout sort of way. I still don’t know why this would contribute to you using it – you could have a profile, but that doesn’t mean you have to … well, whatever it is people do when they’re “using” Facebook.

(One of my sweeties uses FB to keep up with their relatives who’ve moved out of our region, so that wasn’t exactly a random example. They still complain about so many things when using it, but can’t seem to wean themselves away from it. I don’t get that either.)

1 Like

That’s exactly the shitheap they want, apparently.

2 Likes

As usual, fuck Facebook.

But at this point it’s like calling Donald Trump a liar.

• who in their right mind would even bother checking?!

Facebook has power because everybody submits unto them. If you can’t refuse, then at least be aware of what you’re giving up and what what you’re feeding.

2 Likes

Perfect example of US mores:
USA: Where only napalm is worse than nekkidness.

2 Likes

I can not understand why a naked women’s breast is so unacceptable, people
will march, write protest letters, etc. But if the breast is covered with
blood, NO Problem.

Jon

If I am ever on Life Support;

Unplug me

Wait a couple of minutes

Plug me back in.

See if that works

3 Likes

Stealing that for my headstone!

4 Likes

I hadn’t heard that before, thank you so much for posting it.

1 Like

That was actually my point!

The photo used U.S. cultural norms to make an indelible argument against what we were doing there.

5 Likes

You might want to check: it looks like your saved signature is being added to your post. I think this happens for some posters who log in from their phones.

4 Likes

It’s either that or quirky modern poetry

2 Likes