Facebook declares war on adblockers, claims it can prevent them detecting ads

That’s it; I’d love to be no-scripting all over, but it was just an epic hassle. When the fuck is JS just gonna fuck off and die?

I thought HTML5 was supposed to save us all.

5 Likes

JS, Flash, Silverlight. The whole lot can rot as far as I’m concerned. Does anyone else see this as a potential avenue for a new version of a cross site script attack?

2 Likes

By definition, Facebook serving ads from within Facebook won’t be cross-site… That’s part of how they hope to avoid ad blockers.

1 Like

Quite right. But the ads aren’t created or originate at Facebook do they? It seems they plan to deliver ads residing on FB servers which do not originate from FB. While not technically a cross site script, the same risk would apply since you are going to be delivered content from unknown sources but it would appear to your browser that it originates from FB since that is the host delivering the content. I’m probably just paranoid but it seems like this could go badly.

2 Likes

We don’t know what they’ll be serving.

2 Likes

I guess this is why I’m getting a lot of “Sponsored Suggested Post” entries that, until now, I’d only see on my phone.

Would SEP (for example) stop it? Asking for a friend.

2 Likes

I left Facebook years ago because they bought and killed an app that had been allowing me to see Facebook in a way that I could tolerate. How unsurprising it is that they continue to insist on forcing readers into an unsatisfactory experience.

3 Likes

What I said was that not many sites need JavaScript.

Although most have implemented it in a ham-fisted and browser-breaking way that’s totally unneeded. The few sites that do need JavaScript are the likes of Youtube and Spotify and such. Even the BBS doesn’t need JavaScript. It probably could be made to degrade gracefully into an oldfashioned forum.

I used to do web design, and my coding philosophy was much like Jazz. It’s the stuff you don’t write on the page that matters.

3 Likes

Another problem solved by avoiding Facebook altogether

4 Likes

Your idea of “need” or that of those who designed the sites and/or software?

Sure, we could all browse HTML only text with no images in Lynx because hypertext only needs text…

2 Likes

If only my brother, mother, grandmother and daughter felt the same, I could as well.

3 Likes

For all of Google’s missteps trying to get people to try Google+? They have been very good about no direct end user advertising.

1 Like

I hear that.

I’ve decided that I can handle the digital solitude. Thankfully a few generous peeps continue to contact me directly using primitive technologies like email, IM, SMS, and phone calls.

3 Likes

Fair point, although you have to convince all of them of that, and they have a habit of learning how “important” JS is from each other and having weird ideas about how websites are supposed to work and look.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.