Facebook shutting legal weed pages

I tried to migrate to Google+, but no one followed me so it felt like LiveJournal circa 2004. I tried Diaspora, but by that point I realized nobody else was interested in breaking the FB stranglehold (except the millennials and my nephews who chat via Minecraft).

4 Likes

Much to the annoyance of everyone I know, I use the phone to call them, talk until they rudely hang up, that’s how I stay connected.

5 Likes

Hello fellow traveler! (Even if it annoys me when the phone rings, I still do it)

1 Like

Get to the roots of such thing and you’ll see dirt all around.

2 Likes

Don’t actually have an account, and never plan on it.

I kind of get people using services even if there is stuff about them they don’t like, if it provides something of great value. But in general I “vote with my feet,” just not participating, instead of participating and complaining. And let’s face it, Facebook is nowhere near “indispensable.” It’s at best “slightly useful” as far as I can tell.

So yes, I live a Facebook free life, and as far as I can tell, I’m just as happy as the people who use it.

In my younger days (the 90’s, when I started and ran an Internet company) I really believed in the Internet, in the democratization of information. But over the next decade or so I noticed that even though anyone can publish information on the Internet doesn’t mean it means anything.

We’re herd animals. Yes, you can buy books at any one of a thousand places on the Internet, but everyone goes to Amazon anyway. Same with social networking. The Infrastructure of the Internet may support distributed flow, but our animal instincts keeps us all jumping into single points of failure.

Facebook is currently the Internet’s largest single point of failure, it would seem.

2 Likes

Maybe the safe environment they are referring to is the workplace for their legal team who probably get 1000 calls a week by lazy cops looking to bust people over the internet (look at the evidence! he’s clearly smoking weed in a public location, why it might even still be a crime there!). Though its probably more ‘think of the children’, what if there’s a serious threat of harassment from law enforcement (to users and Facebook) and Facebook figures this is the easy way to stay out of it?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.