Facebook stored millions of passwords as plain text

Heh, so I was clever like a fox to use “facebooksucks” as a password.

3 Likes

Nah, they just wondered how you knew about their super-secret smart vacuum cleaner project.

1 Like

(You probably already know this but it bears repeating)

You should use a password manager and use a different password for all websites.

1 Like

Lame but necessary joke.

Anyone ever hear of LifeLog? The whole point of Facebook was for the See Eye Aye to enable our gov to spy on it’s own citizens.

It’s an original picture but with the light levels changed – in fact, I think it was probably photoshop’s one-click “autocorrect” function. This is normal practice in journalism to correct flaws of exposure or to account for well-understood limitations of a medium (e.g. a poorly-registered cold press), but the increase of contrast has a remarkable effect here of highlighting Zuckerberg’s skin in an unflattering way.

What I did to this image technically is professionally acceptable, but the resulting image is arguably not acceptable for publication and would generate side-eye. However, much worse is done daily to wire photographs – especially brightening eyes and skin.

Here’s the original and the “worked” Zuck. I had to find the original again and resize it, so it’s not a pixel-perfect fit. But this image employs no shoop beyond color levels.

5 Likes

pro tip: sharing your facespace and mybooks PSWDs on boingboing is no way to go thru life
you should change those immediately!
don’t forget to include a ! at the end, maybe a 1!, you know, for ‘security’

2 Likes

I remain unsure about password managers, but yeah using different passwords is worth repeating often.

I had thought Facebook was sort of malignant but also competent.

Some people use Facebook-owned WhatsApp for secure messaging; what unfathomable stumbling are we going to find out about that situation, I wonder?

1 Like

Yet another reason to use a password manager… since when some random subcontracted malvertiser snarfs your PW, they won’t have the keys to the kingdom, just the clubhouse.

most of my friends have moved over to signal, but I’ve moved to having 1:1 calls rather thqan 1:1 long texting convos, because I don’t 100% trust signal’s disappearing messages feature.

Ex: anything that renders on the screen can be stored elsewhere as a thumbnail for task switchers etc, plus someone can end up with weird malware on their phone, or just maliciously back up my gripes and crass jokes under the assumption them violating my privacy will be viewed less badly than bawdy humor in a private space.

1 Like

Nope, but once everyone submits a new password the FB password prediction AI will be able to tell you your next 10 passwords.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.