Facebook never delivered its "Clear History" feature

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/29/no-good-facebooks.html

1 Like

Yeah… That’s never gonna happen to the point that we would like. Most people don’t read blogs like this. Most people are out there sharing without caring.

3 Likes

8 Likes

I suspect that Facebook failed to follow through because they just don’t care and have realized that the costs and risks of lying are small; but in a sense I’m pleased that they didn’t:

Short of quite sophisticated oversight across multiple jurisdictions with close access to Facebook systems it’s pretty much impossible to distinguish between “Clear History” and “Hide History From Me But Continue Exploiting It”.

I have this crazy suspicion that what they would have delivered would likely have been the latter; and something that gives people a false sense of security and looks like a change for the better, but isn’t, really isn’t a good thing.

In an ideal world, we would want things to look as dangerous as they are(no weasel wording about ‘anonymized’ and ‘shared with trusted partners to improve service’). Odds are that the feature, as implemented, would have been a step even further away from that.

That said, there are cases where a ‘quickly hide a bunch of stuff, not from Zuck but from some internet lynch mob’ feature would likely be useful; but that’s quite distinct from something that purports to clean things up between you and facebook.

7 Likes

Zuck, “Hey, look is all totally “anonymized”; we never tell you who we are sharing your personal data with!”

2 Likes

I am totally mystified by why people willingly give Facebook gobs of data, but then again, I want you kids off my lawn!

4 Likes

The Zuck is a data whore and a half, get away from fbook while you still can.

giphy%20(4)

4 Likes

I don’t think that Zuck’s departure would be enough. Mark Zuckerberg didn’t personally design and implement all of the invasive tools that have produced scandal after scandal (though he may have signed off on all or at least most of them). He had a literal army of managers, product designers and engineers who built those systems in full knowledge of what they were doing.

Such as this guy, who’s managed to fly under the radar of people focusing on Zuckerberg and Sandberg:

More accurately, a data pimp and a half.

8 Likes

Roger That!

4 Likes

Who in their right mind would trust Zuck’s word?

3 Likes

These assholes…

tumblr_pqnib1zLhl1ujinhho1_540

2 Likes

So why do you still have a FB account, Cory?

I haven’t had a FB account since 2006.

3 Likes

And, yet again, no one was surprised.

1 Like

It’s why I finally gave up and deleted my (already inactivated) account, about a month ago.

I suspect there’s also no distinction between an active and inactive account, when it comes to FB riffling through the account’s data.

Perhaps @djsancocho is referring to BB’s Facebook page (which requires at least one person to have an account). I suspect it’s there to hoover up the bad shit and keep as much of it as possible away from the BBS.

2 Likes

Is it rude of me to say that Mark can zucking zuck himself?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.