Zuckerberg announces a comprehensive plan for a new, privacy-focused Facebook, but fails to mention data sharing and ad targeting

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/06/metadata-good-enuf-for-nsa.html

2 Likes

Yeah… so, will this encrypted Facebook happen before or after they roll out the “clear history” feature they promised to Congress?

5 Likes

I think that’s the subtext here.

5 Likes

History tells me I cannot trust Zuckerberg, especially when he is talking about privacy.

5 Likes

And if you buy this, I have some really interesting real estate to sell you. Oh and a billion dollars that I am trying to get out of somewhere, I just need to borrow your bank account to do it. I will totally cut you in for a share. Absolutely.

7 Likes

10 Likes

Can we talk about the ad removal fee/tool that was on this very site earlier in the day?

I get that you have to pay the bills, but I thought that was what all your other pop ups, reviews, and casual mentions were for.

1 Like

3 Likes

There is a thread for this:

2 Likes

I’ve got a much better – and much more effective plan: Stay away from FB.

4 Likes

Zuck is committed to keeping users’ data private, from competitors.

2 Likes

And people still use FB for what reason? I’m coming up on my 3rd year of going cold turkey and frankly my life is way better for it.

1 Like

Too bad it was a blog post and not a press conference, because I would love for someone to ask him, point blank in front of cameras, “why should we believe you this time?”

Then after his gives his lame-ass doublespeak answer, the next reporter says “no, seriously, why should we believe you this time?”

4 Likes

No, thanks.

You’re making Boba Fett Sad again…

1 Like

I wonder if they’ll call it “About-FaceBook”

Seriously though. The only privacy he’s at all concerned about is his own. Everyone else’s privacy is a commodity to him, and anyone who gives him access to anything factual about themselves on his platform are suckers he’s happy to pluck from the sucker-tree.

If your information is in a form that he can harvest, and if it will “earn” him a buck to do it, it will be done.

He’s shown us his true (weirdly empty) face again and again. He can’t be trusted to do anything that doesn’t directly benefit himself more than anyone else.

3 Likes

“[Zuckerberg], still couldn’t stop himself from fantasizing aloud about how awesome it would be to jack directly into his users’ brains.”

He’s gonna to be real mad when he gets to me.

1 Like

It’s entirely possible that I’ve missed something, but if it’s encrypted end-to-end, how would they enforce their own terms of service? Do they decrypt & examine something once it’s been flagged?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.