Zuckerberg to Facebook users: you agreed to this

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/03/27/zuckerberg-to-facebook-users.html

3 Likes

What about the tracking they do on people that never had a Facebook membership, with tracking images on websites or their Android app that contacts Facebook every night even if you don’t have an account?

27 Likes

Why would you expect Mark to respect the marks?

11 Likes

Facebook, going back to its earliest days, is predicated on not respecting anyone’s privacy, including those who don’t choose to join it. In the unlikely case that FB is required by law to delete the shadow profiles of people without accounts, they’ll figure out a way to keep them anyhow to service their ad-based business model and further their goal of being the offical account provider for America’s inevitable version of CitizenScore.

In the meantime, it would help if techies and those who care about privacy (and those who are concerned about the quality of political discourge) delete their accounts. It won’t make much of a dent in Zuckerberg’s MAUs, but it will at the very least make their lives better.

14 Likes
6 Likes

Reading this, I just dont understand why anyone would allow this. Why does anyone need a special facebook app to text your phone contacts? If anyone is still using facebook after all of this, I believe the term ‘dumbfucks’ fits.

5 Likes

NPR interview of ex-senior advisor to FTC, wherein he opines that FB should probably have a change of management. Do ya think!?:

https://www.npr.org/2018/03/27/597221954/facebook-previously-failed-to-keep-privacy-promises-ex-ftc-adviser-says

5 Likes

And by “Agree” we mean mostly tricked by psychology and confusing by design interface.

10 Likes

In 2010 Business Insider ran a story with quotes from a university friend of Zuckerberg’s:

Zuck: Yeah so if you ever need info about anyone at Harvard

Zuck: Just ask.

Zuck: I have over 4,000 emails, pictures, addresses, SNS

[Redacted Friend’s Name]: What? How’d you manage that one?

Zuck: People just submitted it.

Zuck: I don’t know why.

Zuck: They “trust me”

Zuck: Dumb fucks

Doesn’t sound like much has changed.

10 Likes

Legal agreements and gobs of money will not save you from being tarred and feathered by the rabble, Zuck.

2 Likes

Even back when I had a FB account, I never connected anything through it, and I never do social media on my phone, period.

And I always thought “Log In through Facebook!” prompts were creepy and extra invasive.

11 Likes

There’s nothing confusing about this except for possibly the text contrast. But even the black text should raise a flag. “Text anyone in your phone” Ok, how? Do people think FB is literal magic? Clearly some information is going to go back and forth.

And if you see “continuously upload info” and stop reading there, It’s hard to have sympathy for you. What info is going to be continuously uploaded? It’s honestly not much text to read. This “superficially simple” language is very clearly and simply telling you you’re giving FB your call and text history. So don’t be surprised when FB has your call and text history.

1 Like

(cough)

1 Like

As a physician., although one who does not have Facebook, I have to wonder about hippa exposure on this. Many docs may have had patient calls recorded. Kind of terrifying.

14 Likes

Dear Mark: dig up.

2 Likes

I recall when Facebook started to take off and a client said you should join Facebook! Why? So we can play games like farmville and Scrabble together! UH, I don’t want your boss walking by and seeing you playing a game w me… awwww! I joined, played a few games and basically left it to rot.

I can see the corpse has come to full flower.

I joined Facebook and all I got was this lunatic президент. fk zk

1 Like

Kinda terrifying for Zuck if he crosses HIPAA. That gets super expensive very quickly, and the criminal charges and fines are per-violation. Suddenly he has maybe 20 million violations at $40,000 in fines apiece. Good luck with that.

8 Likes

@YetiLives asks why anyone needs FaceBook’s message app. And I too have been an FB holdout, for which I am thankful now! But when I set out to travel, a friend in Greece told me “Nobody uses email anymore, everybody uses FB Messenger.” And in fact FB does let me send free international messages to any “friend” from anywhere, while my phone carrier does not. I have found it to be true that most of my contacts will check FB messages or text messages before they will read an email. That said, I agree that continuing to use FascistBook is a mistake.

you agreed to this

95a5b3e60be103fdd89b9c9f6f148ded

7 Likes
1 Like