Facebook tells Native Americans that their names aren't "real"

I came to post the same thing.

They are the owners of their websites which they allow you to use. They have invested money and labor and allow you to use the fruits of their investment because they expect to be able to profit by such use. If you don’t like it set up your own website.

1 Like

There was a moment last year when they were specifically asking men who use women’s names, not their birth names, on Facebook to use their real names. These were “drag queens” living their FB lives as the characters they inhabit (sheesh, I feel like a ham-fisted white male cis whatever talking about this.)

It comes down to the uptight using FB’s policies to harass those they find objectionable. FB seems/seemed awfully naive about all this. Failing to look for unintended consequences and then refusing to acknowledge them when it was pretty clear it wasn’t working like they thought it should.

Ello got a temporary boost from the conflict and FB backed off on that before the tide of expatriates got too large. Apparently the lesson they learned failed to get generalized.

5 Likes

so how does running people off because of a set of easily falsified naming expectations make that possible? could it be that a more flexible set of rules regarding naming might be more beneficial to their bottom line than what they currently do? just because they own the website doesn’t mean we have to be subservient to their whims even within the universe of their site. well aimed snark of the sort @No1 used might be to facebook’s benefit if they ever heard it.

edited to add the word “might” to the second sentence of my response.

5 Likes

We ask everyone to use the name they go by in real life so friends know who they’re connecting with.

Aside from the question of why it’s Facebook’s business
If you want to connect with your friends in Facebook why would you use a name your friends don’t know? Does whoever’s responsible for this think that people are creating Facebook accounts they don’t want to be found?

I’ve dealt with a lot of cases of developers not thinking about how users use a program, but this seems particularly boneheaded because the whole point of Facebook, theoretically, is to allow people to connect with each other.

8 Likes

I think the theory was the same one behind Google’s “real names” policy for YouTube—that people would be less likely to act like complete assholes online if they weren’t hiding behind a wall of anonymity. Whether that theory has been borne out in practice is another matter entirely.

4 Likes

The alternative is faking the “identity proof” documents they want to get sent. Get the adversary to think it gets what it wants and leave you alone.

Some don’t have much protection at all, others have safety features intended for close-up manual examination of a physical object; given the electronic scanning/transfer, their value is reduced somewhere to zero. A scan, photoshop, and color-inkjet printout with further scan and then sending should survive even quite some image forensics; an overkill for the close-to-minimum-wage helpdesk operators that will handle the request.

Fake ID cards are used for ages to get a beer. This is just another version of the same trick.

5 Likes

add to that, there’s a ton of people that use names-that-aren’t-their-their-birth-names pretty much exclusively in real life. One example of probably hundreds that I know personally: I never knew the birth-name of my current roommate, whom i’ve known for like seven years or so, until well after he’d moved in with me a couple years ago. Nobody uses it–nobody knows it. His mom came over to the crib and asked about “Bob;” I was like “who?” If that ain’t “real life,” I dunno what is.

10 Likes

No. Drag queens are men that dress like women.

Trans people are born to a different sex and transition to the other sex.

Being a drag queen has nothing to do with sexuality, only in what you are wearing.

4 Likes

I was sort of hoping that you were linking to Cher’s [Half Breed] (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6E98ZRaU1s “You Know You Want to See It.”) song, because, y’know.

Yup. And you know that.

Not according to the definition that a friend of mine used when she fought for the inclusion of bisexual and transgender people at what was then London Gay and Lesbian Pride.

She and the rest of the committee were explicit that transgender was to be a inclusive and self identifying term.

I just asked her what the definition they used then was and she says

People who challenge traditional assumptions about gender

She gets upset when people tell other people what they are and are not, as you might expect from someone who had it happen to them throughout their childhood.

Just like with any other transgender person then.

6 Likes

Facebook isn’t a network - you can’t just set up your own network, that’s not how networks work! The options are be part of the network or don’t, there’s no finding an alternative unless you can convince a large portion of the rest of your network to jump ship with you
 which likely requires using the network in question to communicate that with them.

2 Likes

“It’s pronounced ‘Big Boo-TAY.’”

8 Likes

My friends and I have been complaining about this for months. The latest thread in FB’s arrogance is that they are telling more of my friends that their Irish names are not real! SilĂ© NĂ­ Houlighean? Not a real name. Fat lot they know about it.

4 Likes

This “if you don’t like it, just leave” attitude is especially shortsighted when it comes to Facebook. Facebook has become so integrated into everything that it’s actually necessary for some things- as an example, when I first started working for Lyft, you were REQUIRED to have a Facebook account to get the job. Thankfully they finally changed that policy, but it’s hardly the only case like this. Are you seriously telling me that someone should be denied a job because some asshole doesn’t think their name “looks real”? How is that any better than refusing to hire someone because of race or gender?

15 Likes

Unfortunately, you have misunderstood the product Facebook offers. Facebook merely allows users to connect with their friends as part of a project to develop a high quality dataset connecting real names to browsing habits to sell to advertisers and corporations. Anything that gets in the way of that must be stopped.

9 Likes

I have a policy of not putting my real name on the Internet. I have ONE email address with my real name, and almost never use it. I give the absolute minimum data to sign up for anything, and restrict the viewing rights as much as I can.

3 Likes

I’m one of those people, as my Christian name is so common I go by a shortening of my surname. People are shocked to discover the name they’ve been calling me isn’t my ‘real name’. What’s really odd is more than one occasion where people have posted me things they seem to have invented a surname for me. That is, the name they wrote they genuinely believed to be my real name. This is pretty immaterial, as in the UK we don’t have a definition of a real name. Legally one can use any name one wishes as long as it isn’t for purposes of fraud, deception or a protected title. Today my legal name is Frankly Wonderful, suck on that Facebook.

6 Likes

I personally know about a dozen people who have had their accounts suspended until they changed the name on it to something that sounded legitimate. Native Americans, transgendered folks, and Pagans are susceptible.

[quote=“noahdjango, post:28, topic:51928”]
there’s a ton of people that use names-that-aren’t-their-their-birth-names pretty much exclusively in real life
[/quote] A couple of the people I know who were forced to use their “real” name have literally been using their chosen name publicly for more than 20 years, have published multiple books under those names, and nobody since their HS graduation has actually called them by their birth name.

In a couple cases, the names are for protection, as a lot of Pagans aren’t “out of the broom closet”. I live in the Northeast, where nobody cares, but being “one o them devil wershippers” can literally put your life in danger in some parts of the South.

And that’s exactly the issue. So every time, I’ve encouraged them to sue. They’ll lose, but that’s not the point. It’s just to create enough financial risk that the policy is in danger of costing more money than it makes. If every request for a “real” name means legal fees and a potential judgement, the shareholders will put a stop to it.

6 Likes