Facebook to launch 'Patreon killer' that grabs 30% of fan money vs. Patreon’s 5%

5 Likes

Anyone wanna take bets on how long it takes for Facebook to start hiding links to Patreon once they get this thing running?

Also here is a way they could make it a better devil’s bargain: “If you sign up with Facetreon, then we will stop making you pay money for us to maybe have your posts show up in your followers’ feeds, and just show them.” But I’m sure they would prefer to double-dip by getting a huge chunk of your income and still making you pay.

2 Likes

The only two startup-y services I can think of off the top of my head that either never got on the venture capital merry-go-round/death spiral/aqui-hire scheme or finally saw the light and got off of it are:

• Pinboard, which charged a one-time up-front fee when I got my account, and now charges an annual fee for new users. It also outlived Delicious long enough to buy it out to keep it alive for users after Yahoo dumped it.
  • Gumroad, whose founder recently had a come-to-Jesus moment and realized that he was providing an important service for a bunch of people and that was enough, even if it never hit total market saturation and became another billion-dollar company, and has gradually started buying out his vulture venture capitalists’ stakes.

Everybody else is still chasing the dragon. I really hope Patreon either figures this out themselves or gets knocked off by someone else who isn’t obsessed with taking untold millions to run a business in one of the the most expensive places in the US while being hounded by the loaners for unbounded quarter-over-quarter growth.

2 Likes

Just wait for some variation of this to slip into Facebook EULAs for any participating content creator.

1 Like

No bet. FB already does this to creators, near as I can tell.

A privileged (and deeply confused) take. You’re not smart to stay away. You are lucky you can afford to.

The rest of us must occasionally make do.

4 Likes
2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.