Famed DOS-era word processor WordStar 7 made available for modern machines

Originally published at: WordStar 7 made available for modern machines

5 Likes

At one point it was part of SoftKey

That was Kevin O’Leary’s pile of zombie acquisitions. At one point he was trying for a merger of “WordStar” with Delrina (WinFax) and they even printed caps and t-shirts, but there was disagreement over who would run the merged company and that was the end of that. The quiet name at Delrina for the merger was Del Star dot Star. :rofl:

5 Likes

My fingers still remember the keystrokes! (God I feel old!)

6 Likes

Turbo Pascal derivatives like Delphi and Free Pascal / Lazarus still use a lot of the WordStar keystrokes as the default.

2 Likes

I’m really very surprised no one’s put together a package like this before; there’s been a lot of work done on old versions of WordPerfect already. Maybe that’s because the remaining adherents to WordPerfect are in the legal and medical professions and have much vested in keeping it going?

And with all the press this is getting I am also a little surprised that someone isn’t stepping forward with some sort of claim to ownership. Even if they don’t demand money one way or another, a show of goodwill would be good advertising.

I was going to say that maybe something like WordTsar hasn’t achieved wider adoption if it looks like a Windows program, but the screenshots suggest they’ve made a good effort at catching the old feel.

I shall link again to my favorite piece on the inferiority of Word.

2 Likes

I still have my copy of Turbo Pascal from the late 80s. (Making me feel older yet.)

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.