Fan edits "Inside Out: Outside Edition," excising all internal scenes

[Read the post]

2 Likes

According to Scienceā„¢, naming negative feelings helps you to deal with them. My son has taken to expressing his feelings in terms of the characters in this film. Itā€™s really helped him to understand his own feelings better as well as understanding why other people sometimes do or say things that he doesnā€™t like.

10 Likes

The fact that this is the ā€˜editā€™ rather than the ā€˜movieā€™ is something of a reminder of what you donā€™t actually get spelled out for you and usually just have to infer. Not as though inner monologues and omniscient narrators arenā€™t fairly common in books and film; but when dealing with NPCs day to day you certainly donā€™t get any of that.

3 Likes

ā€œNPCā€? Iā€™m assuming that isnā€™t the D&D term for a Non Player Character?

1 Like

No, itā€™s what Filipinos call NFC.

/ Oh, sorry, that would be: ā€˜Near Pield Communicationsā€™.

2 Likes

Not just the D&D term, and not entirely serious; but yeah.

Donā€™t worry. Most of the people I interact with regularly appear to be named NPCs, complete with back story, extensive voice acting, an attempt at coherent character development, and so on. It is rarely necessary to ask somebody what the hell kind of lousy encounter table they were rolled from.

(It would be nice if I could toggle display of floating nametags over NPCsā€™ heads. Not only am I bad with names, being able to walk into a room and determine who I should interact with and who is just there to fill out the scene would be most convenient.)

6 Likes

It would be nice to know so one could avoid other PCs too.

1 Like

What do you mean by ā€œother PCsā€? Surely that notion isnā€™t logically compatible with me being the player character, a fact so compelling as to be demonstrable from first principles.

3 Likes

You are very convincingā€¦ you almost had me thereā€¦ your pre-programmed responses are almost life likeā€¦ :smiley:

3 Likes

Iā€™m probably a named NPC, or at least some kind of midlevel boss monster. Those tend to get more detail.

5 Likes

As the level 17 bard once said:

All the worldā€™s a pizza-strewn and Mt. Dew sticky table,
And all the men and women merely player characters;
They have their re-rolls and their character creations,
And one PC in their time plays many classes and subclasses (with associated XP penalties and skill limitations),
Their campaigns being at least two adventures (and hopefully set in the Forgotten Realms).

1 Like

Augmented reality, face recognition.

There are too many engineers with the same problem for it to not happen.

1 Like

Manā€¦ That little naked booty shake she does when her dad is chasing her after the bathā€¦ That is the EXACT same dance that my 3 year old daughter does all the time (clothed or unclothed). I wonder if my daughter got that from the movie (I canā€™t remember if it pre-dates her seeing the movie, or not).

1 Like

ā€œPixar movies follow the ā€œ_____ have feelingsā€ templateā€

While thatā€™s kind of clever, itā€™s also pretty reductive. I mean, for that to work, you have to ignore a bunch of Pixar films where that doesnā€™t apply, such as The Incredibles, Brave, Up and so on. Unless you start saying ā€˜Monsters have feelingsā€™ is some sort of an insight, given that any movie is going to have CHARACTERS who have feelings, feels kind of obvious on its face.

I mean, Pixarā€™s main focus has been ā€˜use animation to anthropomorphasize/make characters out of things items and creatures that might not be possible otherwiseā€™. If youā€™re not doing that, youā€™re wasting the medium. A film where one of the characters is a literal bear, a talking cyber-dog, an inhumanly stretchy woman or a sentient slinky dog are examples of using the medium in ways that other films canā€™t.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.