Fantastic TV commercial from Mattel Intellivision (1982)

Not animated but this retro commercial for the Atari 2600 is totally bonkers

3 Likes

Is this how the “computer graphics” for the BBC TV version of H2G2 were made?

http://www.rodlord.com/pages/hhgg.htm#

4 Likes

Pretty much. I think your link shows a mix of techniques. Single colour line work is easy to make look “techno” if you saturate the colours or over expose it. It is also so much cheaper and quicker than digital would have been back then.
The text was digital, but that’s easy to record straight to video.

3 Likes

That’s how they made the computer map scenes in Escape from New York. It was really a model with the edges painted bright green.

10 Likes

Sometimes the simplest solutions really are the best.

6 Likes

I think pretty much anyone who had an Intellivision had two of the three. Wasn’t there a Console + Two Games introductory offer?

1 Like

I honestly don’t remember. Probably. I think the one that came with mine was Black Jack and Poker. Though Mine was the Sears branded one. Tron I think was a later title the the othe two.

1 Like

Originally the Intellivision shipped bundled with “Las Vegas Poker & Blackjack.”

2 Likes

@Senorwences

I remember now. We had most of the standard low-tier games, but also had Burger Time, which I liked as much as possible; crappy non-responsive controllers notwithstanding.

I minored in “BurgerTime” on the ColecoVision in college in the early 1990s. I recently started playing the Intellivision version and it is waaaay better and closer to the arcade version. Not just graphics better, but the characters act in less predictable (and tougher to outsmart) ways.

The non-responsiveness of the controller, I found on the Intellivision I own, has to do with the top two screws on the controller not being tight enough to push together the sandwich construction circuitry from the controller that sits at this spot and that leads out the coiled cable. I put a large binder clip on one of my controllers and fixed that problem since the screw holes were stripped.

5 Likes

Was that Bill Moyers as the male anchor?

You missed out on the obviously superior game.

2 Likes

Well, ya gotta start somewhere… and 99.999% of the world’s population – even now – wouldn’t know Jack Squat how they did it in '82. So there!

Sounds to me more like it’s John Erwin (best known for voicing He-Man).

I can’t believe the commercial doesn’t mention the finest Intellivision game of them all, George Plimpton’s Video Falconry

4 Likes

I can’t imagine how tedious this must have been to do.

2 Likes

Some people LOVE that kind of thing though. Not me, but… :grin:

1 Like

I sold a 35mm copy of this commercial on ebay in 2006. i wonder if this is a transfer from that copy?

6 Likes

tumblr_nql5u3kj761rd0307o6_500

1 Like

Heaven is a synthwave video :slight_smile:

1 Like