Fascinating interview with a film bootlegger from the 1960s

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/25/fascinating-interview-with-a-f.html

6 Likes

so just like so much “piracy” it was created or at least spurred on by industry absurdity and false scarcity.

12 Likes

Related:

Throwaway bit in the article that I wouldn’t mind a citation for claims that camcorders in theatres go back to the 60s. I can believe it but can’t believe it was that widespread due to the bulkiness of the tech at the time.

/edit: typos

5 Likes

Video camcorders certainty do not go back to the 1960s. Video tape in the 60s was a full two inches wide on giant reels. Perhaps they are referring to film cameras? Maybe 16 or 8mm? However, film cameras would require changing many rolls of film to capture a feature film. Not something you could do surreptitiously in a theater, but something a projectionist could do through the observation window.

Wikipedia lists the first video camcorder as being 1983.

4 Likes

“Video art is often said to have begun when Paik used his new Sony Portapak to shoot footage of Pope Paul VI’s procession through New York City in the autumn of 1965” About Nam June Paik.

Cool, I didn’t know when potable decks were first available, but not a camcorder. Camcorder means tape deck in the same housing as the camera.

However, since there were no home VCRs for playback, I’m going to assume that film piracy in the 60s meant recording and distributing on film.

So, the info in the mental floss article still seems suspect.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.