FBI has fleet of secret spy planes with tech to identify people through their cellphones

[Read the post]

Surely if one was involved in actual naughtiness, (rather than just being a normal excessively surveilled person) you would take precautions against things like this these days. Have people not seen the Wire? Would people not have a modicom of tradecraft?

One would think they would, but many criminals are dumb. Your point is well taken, though. I don’t think this is all about catching bad guys. Mass surveillance seems like a pretty inefficient way to catch criminals.

I can see legitimate applications for this tech. If I crashed my car and went off the road, I’d love for them to find me. If I break my leg hiking I want to be found. If I were suspected of murder and mayhem and a real judge or magistrate gave the FBI a real warrant to just look for me then I am okay with this. The issue for me is the utter lack of boundaries and oversight.

Right.
I have a feeling the budgets for this stuff are approved under “terrorism”, but in reality it is mostly used against the lower hanging fruit.

I also believe stuff like this surveillance is why the cops have those property seizure laws in place. They cant use the illegally gathered evidence in court, so instead they make a law to seize the assets without a trial.

And when this technology is used to surveil wives and ex-lovers of cops, I wonder if they will practice good tradecraft? What a chilling idea, when you examine it.

Of course they have a warrant right?

ahh , 3 or more , separate fleets ?? why can’t these folks learn to share ?? besides , the nsa has all of this data from normal cell phone towers and trunk line data streams anyway !! but , hey !! more ’ civilian ’ pilot licenses , more work for a&p mechs , more smallish private planes , more work for fbos , hooray for subsidies !! oh , and can i get a ’ mini stingray ’ for my sport cub s ?? and , 5142 66972 fe45a 9927b " your mother in law has enough groceries " repeating " your mother in law has enough groceries " 71829 ef9d7 f345a ( yah , my numbers station drop here uses hex !! i am ( a ) pagan minister , work it out ! )

You could do better with Base32. No uppercase/lowercase distinction as for Base64, so easier to read aloud especially using the NATO spelling alphabet, and can be used for encoding binary data chunks with ease.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.