FBI raids LA Department of Water and power with sealed federal search warrants

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/22/fbi-raids-la-department-of-wat.html

2 Likes

They’re finally listening to Jake Gittes

18 Likes

20 Likes

I thought this was going to be about putting LSD in the water supply, but it sounds like its more of a scandal of fraudulent pay?

The most egregious example of this is a security worker who was paid $314,000 in overtime, on a listed base pay of $25,000 ,

How in the hell can you even begin to get to that figure? So his base pay is $12. Overtime is usually x1.5, but I think it might go up to x2 in some cases (I know some holidays, etc.) Maybe I never worked so much over time that it became x3 or more, but I don’t think it’s possible to work at a job that long and make that money. You gotta sleep.

So let’s just say its $24/hr.

So 365 days a year times 24 hrs in a day is 8760 hrs a year. Times $24 and that’s only $210,240. Working everyday, all day! No Sleep! It’s over $35/hr to get to that number.

So yeah - what - are they just clocked in constantly and no one questioned that?

12 Likes
16 Likes

Same old story.

12 Likes

Man, I don’t know. If you do how will they pay their security force?

6 Likes

The GOV says water from your toilet is safe to drink, ask any migrant in custody.

10 Likes

i’m always thinking about things related to my job so in a way i’m always at work. but i’m salaried.

this security engineer is not, and his employer gets the fruits of his galaxy brain whether the fruit blossomed at 1pm or 1am, so really ipso facto he’s underpaid in that neither ran nor sleet nor snow will stop this man from securing our precious fluids. would you push back on a google engineer making 400k? but when a “lowly” security guard instead of a “security engineer” is a 10x performer suddenly we call the police? hmph ameriKKKa

KIDDING

2 Likes

Velcome to Boing Boing, new comrade.

I’m gonna go out on a limb and guess that you don’t grok sarcasm very well.

Also, I’d advise against name-calling while here; the mods tend to frown on that sort of thing.

13 Likes

Maybe instead of a multiplier it’s an exponential?

5 Likes

Ooh. Maybe some kind of Brewster’s Millions / Office Space payroll decimal point type shenanigans.

2 Likes

Shouldn’t they be raiding Flint, MI?

5 Likes

Wait until the FBI finds out what all the Trumplings are getting paid for their do-nothing jobs.

What does Ivanka do again? I mean, besides looking real good in that dress for Daddy…

2 Likes

Kisses from Daddy

donald-ivanka-trump-675284

1 Like

Maybe this will finally spell the end of Unconstitutional Fluoridation!

ripper

Next, they can start handling Chem Trails!

6 Likes

I just threw up in my mouth a little, thanks!

5 Likes

Oh kind of lawyer’s time keeping.

2 Likes

FBI: “Where is your payroll file?”

LADWP employee: “There it is. Take it.”

Honestly, I’d be half surprised if that security guard is an actual person. The standard way to skim off of a government payroll is to create a fictitious person and start paying them a salary that just happens to go into an account you control. Or you find some rando and give them a “job” that doesn’t involve any work and simply redirect their salary into your account. Sometimes they don’t even know they’re technically working for the state until the tax bill comes in.

Unless that security guard is a close personal friend/family of someone well connected in the Water Department they probably didn’t see anything close to $300k/year.

2 Likes