FCC closes a robocaller's loophole

Here in the UK I get maybe one spam call every couple of months on my mobile, and maybe one or two spam texts.
Vodafone make it pretty easy to report a number, so I usually do that with any spam I get. For phone calls, I answer them and if it’s a real person I try to keep them on the line as long as possible by telling them to hang on a moment (eg) while I try to find a pencil. They always hang up fast :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yep. I do the same thing with that sort of call, especially to my work phone.

Depending on the mood I’m in, I’ll either be polite, or I’ll just string them on until they hang up.

Although I do wonder why no one wants to sell me an extended warranty for my 1959 Morris Oxford… :smiley:

Another gag I’ll pull on warrenty people, especially if I don’t have time to string them out, is to ask “which one? I’ve got 200 on the lot here.” :pause for effect: “You’ve reached a used car company.”

I do block the number post call, which at least tells Apple (if they do such things) that the call was likely spam or junk. I know that Google Voice (or what’s left of it) does something similar across the aggregate of calls they handle.

I also take full advantage of these two reporting systems.

I will check suspected spam phone numbers at White Pages Reverse Phone Lookup, and at least half of the time I get “please provide a legitimate number” (or something like that), so I know the phone company IS able to tell when it’s a non-legitimate spoofed number.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.