Tech-powered war on robocalls pledged by 12 U.S. telephone carriers and 51 attorneys general

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/22/robocalls-must-dieeeee.html

10 Likes

I get 3 a day, it’s infuriating waste of time.

13 Likes

What’s the timeline? AT&T supposedly already has the tech, they’ve just used it as an upcharge. If they’ve signed on to provide it for free, it should be seamless to customers.

ETA: I just checked. It looks like AT&T still charges $4/mo for it. :anger:

7 Likes

Would it also stop political robocalls or robotexts?

2 Likes

'bout damn time!

4 Likes

So, I don’t think this is in good faith at all. There’s a very simple fix for this, which is to not allow spoofed numbers, and to be able to block all numbers that don’t show caller ID if you want to. This doesn’t seem to provide either of those.

16 Likes

I’m taking the tech companies’ action on this to mean that we’ve reached the tipping point to where robocall companies don’t make the tech companies enough money to tolerate their excessive traffic on their networks.

What do the Attorney generals get out of it? Re-election bullet points.

8 Likes

The phone companies are in a tough spot, because they want to be sure they get paid for the robocalls that are made, as well as stop them from going through.

They ought to designate a key response to identify a robocall when you get one - like you get a robocall and key in *79 and what happens is if a dialer gets a bunch of *79s they are fined $500 for every call they’ve made in the billing period. But if somebody trys to screw you by entering the code on your call, no effect, only if you log a dozen or some designated amount.

9 Likes

Been working for me:

13 Likes

If this is successful the GDP of India will go down by 5%.

4 Likes

Unfortunately, I don’t anymore and as a result have missed some important calls thinking they were another robot trying to trick me.

10 Likes

Damn, I’m going to miss Will and Mary.

2 Likes

If you aren’t in my contacts I’m not going to answer. Leave me a message and I’ll call back if it’s important.

6 Likes

I have received robocall mobile phone voice mails. No doubt everyone has?

It’s a real PITA because I thought it might be Henry Kissinger inviting me to lunch. Turns out - nope.

1 Like

Christ on a cracker, I had no idea that bastard was still haunting the Earth!

1 Like

That there are as many US phone carriers as 12 is news to me.

2 Likes

I’m pretty damn sure he still eats lunch and so far - nothing. Like my opinion on world affairs doesn’t mean ****.

3 Likes

I hope this is more effective than the utterly useless “Do Not Call” list. I’ll believe it when I see it actually working. I don’t ever answer calls that aren’t already in my address book anymore. They are ALL spambots.

4 Likes

Only 3? Lucky!

2 Likes

Robocall orgs: no biggie, we’re about to deploy the miniature drones program anyway. We have about 6 for each individual on the planet today. TTYS!