Federalist and Democratic Republican theory in the late 1700s

could anyone clearly explain the differentiation between Federalist and Democratic Republican theory in the late 1700’s, with a few bullet points?

No I’m not cheating in college.

Thanks, anyone who might want to sound wicked smart right now!

Not an early republic historian, BUT… here goes

– rests generally on the divisions in Washington’s cabinet
– while both sides agreed on a stronger central, federal government (with the failures of the Articles of confederation) federalists were more interested in a stronger executive branch, and the Dem Repubs more into a stronger legistlative branch, with more powers going to state legislative
– Federalists wanted a central bank; Dem Repubs did not
– Federalists wanted stronger ties with England; Dem repubs were more interested in aligning with France
– Federalists were more urban/merchant oriented; Dem repubs wanted to empower yeoman farmers/rural areas more - so land vs. mercantilism, maybe is a way to think about that?

If I can think of anything else, I’ll add it, but those are the broad brush strokes of it. Remember, this is couched within an ongoing enlightenment discussion in Europe, which has three different intellectual centers in the 18th and 19th centuries - England/Scotland, France, and German lands, roughly speaking. I think that there is also an interesting debate that might be relevant between the continental Physiocrats and the Scottish enlightenment over where the value is derived - Physiocrats argued that land was where value was derived, while post-Adam Smith Scottish Enlightenment argued it was more about human labor…

But again, this is not my area, so this is just what I know about it.

3 Likes

That’s about 10x as awesome as I even needed. I can work from the back of that envelope. Thank you very much.

Here is a rewarding gif, which I will cede to you from my collection. You will use it more wisely than I.

3 Likes

Have I become the gif guy… cause I feel like the gif guy around here. :wink:

and that is awesome, thanks!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 720 days. New replies are no longer allowed.