Final season of Mad Men will take place in 1976

I wouldn’t make that assumption based on the trailer’s soundtrack.

Last year’s trailer used Bowie’s “The Man Who Sold the World”, which was released in 1970, though the season took place in 1969.

Plus, a seven year jump in the timeline just don’t make no sense.

Yeah, and I have my doubts. 1976 is just about the first year I have actual subjective memories of, and the aesthetic of this trailer looks three to five years earlier than that to me. Or, for all I know, the whole Mad Men saga could fit squarely into the 1960s. If, as some Wikipedia editor claims, the second half of the season is entitled “The End of an Era,” I wouldn’t be surprised to see the finale coinciding with the supreme bummer to end the 60s, the free concert at Altamont on December 6, 1969, three days before I was born.

In any case, I don’t think we’re looking at a ~24-year-old Sally Draper dressed in Bicentennial togs here.

1 Like

Judging by the mirror and rear quarter panel shape, it’s a '69 Camaro. Just like the one Pete accidentally threw into reverse.

If it’s really '76, seems like there would be a few more mustaches and big lapels. And Harry Crane would definitely be rocking a Brady Perm.

2 Likes

The aesthetics of the trailer are 4-5 years earlier. I lived through that era as a girl – only slightly younger than their daughters. NO ONE, absolutely no one would have been wearing that baby doll mini-dress in 1976. Not even in the hill of West Virginia, and certainly not in Westchester. Womens’ fashion changed in ways that were much more rigid and absolute than what we are used to now. The lacy, midriff-baring pantsuit is likewise, precisely 4 years off.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.