šŸ”« Firearms: Everything you wanted to know (and the opportunity to ask if you don't)

this is the one they modeled the Star Wars blaster on?

1 Like

Jesus H Christ - someone HAD some disposable income.

And remember kids, stuff like this lies under Curios and Relics, thus it isnā€™t considered a short barreled rifle. Donā€™t put stocks on pistols normally (with out paper work and taxes paid).

2 Likes

WTF is that shot in, your fume hood at home? If you canā€™t tell, I am completely green with envy.

Thatā€™s one firearm I havenā€™t fired that I would really really like toā€¦somedayā€¦

1 Like

Yes, I have a place where I usually take images, but there is some other stuff there right now. The lighting is good in the fume hood, I sometimes shoot small objects there on a cloth background or something.
The hood is in the lab area of our shop. We do a lot of patination of metals, and mercury gilding. Old and dangerous techniques, but done under safe conditions.
I really like the C96. The cartridge is close to a 9mm (some are chambered for 9mm), it is fun to shoot.The only issue I have with it is that it is hard to keep it loaded with no round chambered. It has a great safety ( the lever under the hammer in the back), but I have a policy of never keeping a round chambered in any firearm that I am carrying, unless I am about to use it. Not that I would be likely to carry this around the ranch anyway. But that is an issue.

1 Like

Not modeled - MADE. The original blasters of Star Wars were all based on and made from REAL firearms. Given that the prop departments in the UK had LOTS of old WWII stuff, that is why you see this and the Stormtrooper basters made from real firing guns, the troopers being British Sterlings. In the original films they actually fired blanks in some scenes which is why there is smoke in some of the scenes of the Tantive IV raid. Now not every gun was real - the ones not close up were usually resin casts. In RotJ one of the hero guns is made from a MODEL gun from Japan (Which means my blaster is nearly screen accurate and I could make it so if I chose to add greeblies to it.)

This is one reason why the originals are more grounded in a reality. And I am sooo glad they looked at gun design from this point of view for the new movies. The Prequels were obviously built by some prop guy who didnā€™t even play call of duty. Not all of their designs are horrible. but the Clone Trooper rifles just make a vein in my head pulse every time I see it. They obviously took a model of an original blaster and then flipped and copied certain parts. Which is why you have what used to be a scope as an awkward handle on the bottom.

3 Likes

You can find decent Chinese Norinco clones for a fraction of real German price. If you have friends in Canada their guns laws are ironically looser and they can import Norinco guns from China still. Though I donā€™t think you can import them in from Canada.

I remember learning how to silver gild glass to make a mirror - good old fulminates - ready surprise you at any timeā€¦hahahahah I love chemistry. I forgot the cool stuff your shop does for a moment there.

1 Like

I have do put in a minor protest, based on real life experience. This one http://nl.starwars.wikia.com/wiki/DLT-19_Heavy_Blaster_Rifle , which is prominent in the series, is based on the MG34. I have some of those. The weight of the gun is nearly 20kg, unloaded. When I watch the films, and see how they are casually carried, it is clear to me that they are using a cast replica. It would be reasonable for them to use real guns for the smaller blasters, but the MG34, Lewis Gun, and even some of the medium sized guns are much heavier than they look in the films.
I am not a Star wars prop expert. I looked at the IMFDB page for the original prop, and they say it was an MG34 with added bits, painted black. I still find it pretty hard to accept.

1 Like

Yes a lot of guns WERE cast replicas. Since the Heavy Blasters were never fired, AND there were stricter gun restrictions in Tunisia, probably all the Sandtrooper guns were resin, though they were cast from real WWII machine guns. In ANH many were working guns converted to firing blanks, but again they were the minority, compared to all the cast ones. Close ups and hero shots used the real thing.

3 Likes

Really? I have a buddy who has one of these, and I thought I remembered him complaining that if you pulled the trigger with the safety on, when you released the safety the gun fired. Maybe I am thinking of some other gun? (I know less about firearms than I do about almost any other weapon class, Iā€™m afraid).

I read this, then went and got the gun.I canā€™t see how pulling the trigger then flipping the safety off can cause firing. It is worth asking if your friend has a German or Chinese C96. I have heard about some safety issues with the Chinese ones, but I have never actually worked on one. I have heard from others that the primary issues are about the tolerances or hardness of internal parts. The specific failure seems to be that the bolt stop would fail, and the bolt would fly off and strike the operator. Anyway, I would definitely look carefully at the gun before firing it.

1 Like

His is real, and has all the bits in your picture, although the leatherā€™s a lot more battered and repaired. Iā€™ve never fired it myself.

But this was bugging me so I googled and found this page on Ask Mister Science. Apparently my friend has the second model of safety, which has a flaw that if you donā€™t quite draw the safety lever all the way back, it will act like I described. Or at least thatā€™s what Iā€™m guessing until I can talk to him, but heā€™s off on the Left Coast somewhere at the moment, gadding about the Olympic Peninsula probably.

I wonder how many firearms are so legendary they have a whole web page just about their safeties.

Thanks for the info. I donā€™t think I can duplicate this error in mine, but it is interesting to learn about.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 223 days. New replies are no longer allowed.