First official photos of US nuclear stealth bomber that looks like a UFO in flight

66Sat

4 Likes

Aren’t you forgetting about the Convair B-36? That was one wacky bomber. Bigger than the B-52 and with a combination of piston engines and jet engines.

1 Like

Re: Bombers. My Godmother’s husband, Hank, was a stereotypical farm boy from Kansas who was an Engineer in a B-17 and B-29 during WWII.

2 Likes

Can’t help thinking of this:

3 Likes

Power and/or inputs/outputs still plugged in?

1 Like

… you’re living in your own private Idaho

10 Likes

I recall seeing the firing tables for the Davey Crockett. Under good conditions, it had a range of about 1.25 miles. Considering that you would want some troops between you and the enemy when you are setting it up, it seems very likely to result in friendly casualties.

4 Likes

And here I was assuming that it was an antenna for VLF radios.

1 Like

Still connected, and liberally painted over

7 Likes

Hey!
IMG_0596

9 Likes

Dude must be from Planet Claire

3 Likes

Same thing happens on old industrial sites.
“What does this do?”
“Nobody knows.”
“Should I …?”
“NO!!!”

7 Likes

Where do you think the XF-85 “Goblin” was supposed to go?

3 Likes

Why, son, the Soviet Union. What do you mean, it ceased to exist three decades ago? Pull the other one, it’s got bells on it.

Only half-joking here. The old men running things are glad they finally have replaced the old men who kept trying to re-fight World War 2, their war, and now these young turks are going to finally beat the Soviet Union like they should have before the cowards collapsed and turned into a mock-democratic kleptocracy instead of a mock-communist kleptocracy. In 20-30 years, it’ll be the Iraq/Afghanistan/WOGT imprinted old soldiers in charge, and they’ll be trying to use those experiences to fight their wars.

The US Commander in Chief is 81, born during World War 2, grew up during the cold war, and was around 50 when the Soviet Union fell. You can’t tell me he occasionally doesn’t mentally slip and think, if not say, “Soviet” to this day – I’ve heard professors and politicians make the mistake too many times, and catch myself doing it all too often even though I was only in my early 20s when it happened. I note that the vast majority of current senior military are men in their mid to late 50s. Around my age. I wonder if they have the same occasional brain fart as well, and if it influences decisions such as buying multi-billion dollar bombers. Bombers that, indeed, could have crushed the Soviets.

Hi, I’m taking a break from Boing Boing right now, so this is a reply by email. Being on a break, I won’t respond much to the message itself except to say that I agree. We’re always fighting the last war, or the last “great” one, anyway.

Mostly though, I have to point out that I’m not a son. :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.