Five super-funky Bootsy Collins bass lines

By the way, if you listen to podcasts, Mark Maron on his WTF show recently had a great conversation with Bootsy Collins. They covered a lot of ground about his early days with James Brown, and info about his childhood, etc. He also had a big brother who was a big part of his musical introduction.

3 Likes

Nice. I’ll have to check that out. I’m new to the Boing, but goddam, I never expected this many funk fans collected here or anywhere. Glad I’m in the family now.

1 Like

One name: Bernie Worrell.

1 Like
1 Like

Really, at least with P- Funk, they often didn’t Part of the reason for the high turnover of the band is that people were routinely not paid what they were owed.

Edit: This seems like a good time to post this Bootsy song with four guest bassists. Bootsy Collins - Bass Rigged System (World Wide Funk) 2017 - YouTube

2 Likes

Please, Lord, don’t ever let my respect for Sly’s music outweigh my worship of James Brown’s music.

Amen.

You don’t have to worry about that. There’s always room for more funk.

1 Like

Truth is, I think Sly handled his band(s) much better than JB did.

JB was notoriously hard on his supporters and Sly, (when he was coherent, lol,) treated them more like friends/family.

Some of his players would disagree, but as far as I can tell, they were treated really well.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.