Five super-funky Bootsy Collins bass lines

Originally published at: Five super-funky Bootsy Collins bass lines | Boing Boing

9 Likes

Yeah baba!

4 Likes
11 Likes
7 Likes

I always wonder how these massive bands (like Earth, Wind & Fire) made enough per set to pay everyone. Especially when they throw in a massive rig, like the Mothership.

8 Likes

The one is one thing but the ‘everything’ in between is the hard work that comes in practice and playing… staying slightly ahead or behind the beat or floating between would be the holy grail of playing funk… the feel

3 Likes

You can see the Mothership and a bass of Bootsy’s at the Nat’l Museum of African American History & Culture. It’s a top-notch museum in DC, with tons more, and well presented. I don’t know if it’s open during covid.

6 Likes

11 Likes

“Man walks down the street on to stage in a hat like that, you know he’s not afraid of anything…”

10 Likes

Thanks for this great video, which led me to her YouTube channel and down the rabbit hole for 2 happy hours. She does a long Zoom interview with the great Victor Wooten that is really wonderful as well.

7 Likes

I love watching Julia Hofer rip shit up. I’m kinda in love. Don’t want to seem creepy, but I can’t get enough.

gotta link? I went through a bit of a rabbit hole myself after this, but I didn’t find that.

1 Like

Here you go: Victor Wooten Interview 2020 | Thomann - YouTube

3 Likes

They paid part-players like part-players. Those that are the core get paid like they’re the core.

Sometimes that’s (understandably) not enough so they took off on solo acts.

4 Likes

you’re my goddam hero!!! I love you!

(just started watching this, and… not sure how I feel about Wooten… What I glean from this is he’s REEEEEEALLLLY high while interviewing, lol…

The whole thing where he gets into playing as a child is… only describable by Wooten himself. Watch the interview.)

1 Like

I’ve seen Victor play several times, and he’s blown the doors off on each occasion. I learned from the interview that he started learning the bass when he was 2, from his 10 year old brother. He learned to play on an electric guitar that they put 4 bass strings on. 3 years later (at 5) he and his brother (at 13) both played with Curtis Mayfield on a tour date. Un-fucking-believable!

2 Likes

I’m just… trying to come to grips with how he sees his family. I love the man and his work, but he seems to have no qualms about ignoring his family in subservience to his art.

If his wife knew this from the beginning, more power to them both, but…

Still love me some Wooten.

(I can do a lot of gymnastics with 1 hand, BTW. Round-offs, back-handsprings, but not these days, lol, I’m waaay too old for that.)

yep, that tour was amazing, but when I saw it there were no kids in the band.

1 Like

I’m sure that every family which contains an artist has to come to grips with the traveling and distance that go with the territory. IMO, as long as the family feels the love when they do see each other, they figure out how to handle the rest.

I can’t imagine how someone can do a one-hand back handspring with a bass guitar around their neck, just like I can’t imagine how Victor can play the body of the bass like a drum and slap the strings at the same time so incredibly fast that his hand is a blur. He’s amazing.

1 Like

You’ll get no disagreement from me about how f*cking amazing Victor Wooten is at playing the Bass, lol.

1 Like