Floods, Fires, and Heat Domes (the climate change thread)

Example;

4 Likes

i did find that online, sure. just wondering if there is a quick calc to do in your head, like converting temp in C to F?
curiosity is all, but we do get dangerous wet bulb temps down here often in the hot and soggy summertime.

4 Likes

To add to that:

4 Likes

interesting chart, especially the difference of “acclimated” and “unacclimated” and the time one can safely be in that range of temps.
coming from Phoenix where double-digit humidity was suffering, to the keys was a huge shock to my body. even after the years spent down here, i am not sure i am acclimated at all and 90F with 80percent RH is really hard on this old body!

6 Likes

… it is not, and that is an important point

wet-bulb temperature will always be between the current dew point and the current dry-bulb temp

2 Likes

Unfortunately the relationship between dry bulb, wet bulb and humidity looks like this

psychrooverview

A psychometric chart will tell you all kinds of neat things about wet air (the more technical ones have all the associated heat energies shown so you can for instance take your air conditioning capacity and the hot ■■■■■ air going in and figure out reasonably what you will get out)

3 Likes
1 Like

BBC News - Global warming set to break key 1.5C limit for first time

1 Like
3 Likes
1 Like
4 Likes
3 Likes
6 Likes
6 Likes
4 Likes

oh. would you look at that…

nobody learns anything anymore, just repeat the same bullshit over and over…

“There are so many other places we should be putting solar,” says Clarke, of the National Parks Conservation Association, from homes to warehouses to parking lots and industrial zones. He describes the current model of large-scale, centralised power generation, hundreds of miles from where the power is actually needed, as “a 20th-century business plan for a 21st-century problem”.

“The conversion of intact wildlife habitat should be the absolute last resort, but it’s become our first resort – just because it’s the easy fix.”

its tradition.

“We’ve been led to believe that all solar is good solar,” he says. “But it’s not when it molests pristine land, requires hundreds of millions of dollars to transmit to city centres, and loses so much power along the way. It is simply preserving the monopoly of the big energy companies.”

BECAUSE THERE IS NO OTHER WAY, YOU FILTHY COMMIE-SCUM!

Battaglia is optimistic that home energy storage is the answer. “Batteries are the future,” he says. “With solar panels on rooftops and batteries in homes, we’ll finally be able to cut the cord from the big utility companies.

I wish I could still be as hopefull as him…oh, wait; that was marketing:

Vincent Battaglia, founder of Renova Energy, a rooftop solar company based in Palm Desert…

(jaja, that was kinda mean, I fucking know…)

3 Likes
6 Likes

Location-based, I hope.

ETA: It makes me think of all those folks across the US who are adamant about living next to the water and then get upset they cannot have flood insurance. :man_shrugging:

9 Likes