Floods, Fires, and Heat Domes (the climate change thread)

7 Likes

Joe Biden Shock GIF by GIPHY News

30 mpg? Good grief, that would be unacceptable for me with the cost of fuel over here. Currently i’m getting around 57 mpg.

3 Likes

Mine is a newer Honda Fit that’s slightly higher than that (closer to 40)… but for some reason, US cars get lower MPGs than other developed countries… I’m sure it has nothing to do with the lobbying of oil companies, tho… /s

I Wonder Emma Stone GIF by Saturday Night Live

10 Likes

Yeah, i’m pretty sure that is a global problem. They have their hands everywhere, much like the tobacco industry.

4 Likes

I went tell you what my truck gets for MPG.

The good news is that the wife has a new work schedule and now she can ride her bicycle to work, and so I can take her EV to work. With my job change just over a year ago I have less of a need for a truck so we may be able to offload that too.

4 Likes

I can only imagine. Different cultures and all that, i get it, but the influence from the states i don’t appreciate is the rise in popularity of larger cars like SUVs pushing out the smaller, nippier hatchbacks. Hence the reason why Ford are discontinuing the Fiesta because, apparently, the smaller car is falling out of favour. The problem is the UK does not have the space for larger auto-mobiles, we are a densely packed little island as it is.

4 Likes

That’s because your :us: gallon is smaller. :grin:

5 Likes

I used to live in Uxbridge. I can only imagine parking my truck there.

5 Likes

An Obscure Bipartisan Shipping Clause Could Derail One Of Biden’s Big Clean Energy Goals

2 Likes

A future rat problem

Milder winters could mean that Finland will soon be dealing with a serious rat problem, according to Tampere-based Aamulehti.

Most rats die during Finland’s cold winters, evolution biologist at the University of Helsinki Tuomas Aivelo explains, but he warns that global warming could help larger populations survive into spring.

If there are more rats in the spring, their numbers will increase rapidly as they start to reproduce. They also benefit from the lack of snow, as it is easier to move around and source food on snow-free ground, Aamulehti notes.

Rats are already common across Finland from the southernmost regions all the way up north, in the area of Oulu.

“The more people there are, the more likely there are to be rats. That’s why rats are particularly abundant in big cities,” Aivelo said, adding that so far Finland has managed to keep populations under control once a peak has been observed.

5 Likes
6 Likes
5 Likes
3 Likes

So eating a mushroom is like eating catfish?

6 Likes

Because they’re both bottom feeders?

7 Likes

Exactly: they both take in garbage, basically, and then we eat them!

6 Likes

:thinking: Uh, they are not alone…

Seafood Crabs GIF by The Crab Place

Maybe that’s what makes them all so delicious! Let’s hope we’re not eating too many, though. :earth_americas:

8 Likes
5 Likes

The sun was red this AM in NoVa. Still no rain in sight.

5 Likes

Damn. Yeah, we’re pushing July and, in the Valley, we are still seeing high 40’s, low 50’s in the morning. Glad I’m not headed for swim team practice in this! And dry as a bone. I don’t usually have to think about irrigation at this time of year, but might have to turn in on. Now if they would just get the water turned back on!!

7 Likes